Author Topic: 79 Kawasaki KL250  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Mrgiggles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
79 Kawasaki KL250
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Hey, noob to the site and i was wondering if someone out there may be able to help me...
I have a 1979 kl250 which for a year ran pretty pissing good and i did a butt tonne of off roading.
It stood in my unit over the cold months and early this year i rebuilt it (still running good).
While i MOTd the bike, the engine it had in at the time drank a small amount of oil, so on my bench i put new rings and gaskets in my other kl engine.
After it PASSED i went ahead and swapped engines.........thats where it all went wrong :/.

It never ran properly since, i dont believe its ignition because over the past few years ive become an expert in these points and such......(hate them).

I believe its fuel and air, yesterday up my unit i got it to idle the best i think it ever has, however as soon as i give it throttle it coughs and splutters and doesnt really do anything. let go of the throttle and it goes and idles lovely again.....

Any questions you have about it, id be more then happy to answer :).

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 79 Kawasaki KL250
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
Dying when you give it throttle is almost always a blocked jet. or blocked fuel feed into the carb.  (Provided the points are clean and correctly gapped).

If you try this with the choke on, does it change things at all ?

Offline Mrgiggles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
It revs but struggles to do so. Pops and bangs a lot!!
I ha a feeling it may be the carb.
It's currently at my house in many pieces and soaking in white spirit :D. Will give it a blow out with my compressor when I get up my unit.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »
This symptom is also typical of a failing condensor, or is yours electronic?

Offline Mrgiggles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »
All the electrical bits have been swapped with new/old/spare bits. All the same symptoms.
Just to let you know, tonight ive put the super shiny clean carb back together and what do you know, runs awesome!! I'd say about 90%.
Need to time it I think and then see what's what.

OH!! Perhaps a daft question....Is the jet need suppose to sit in its seat and not move about at all?? When it was 'clamped' down, it could still wiggle about??
Cheers again :).