Author Topic: Parts for 1931 BSA?!?!  (Read 7052 times)

Offline cgray0291

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Parts for 1931 BSA?!?!
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »
Hi there! My name is Callum, im new to the forum and to vintage bike ownership after recently inheriting my grandas BSA! I am unsure of the exact make! All I know is it's a 1931, 350cc and has gear change on the side of the tank!... My problem is that it's needs a full rebuild and I don't know of anywhere that I can get parts! Was wandering if any of you guys can help me?! Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Here's a pic of the bike if that helps! http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j357/cgray0291/?action=view&current=66145BAA-641C-461D-BEB9-56606515B210-2666-000004CEFE64E34D.jpg

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Parts for 1931 BSA?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »
If you haven't restored anything before then don't touch it. It'll just end up being a pile of parts for the next 20 years with precious pieces lost. I.ve seen it a million times. That's where ebay spares come from. Just get it going first, Change the oils , give the maggy points a file and off you go!

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Indeed - wise words.
Lovely bike too.
Source new mufflers for it (they are not with it ?), and ride off into the sunset.

Leons BSA website somewhere shows each model for each year - a google should find it.

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
Hi Callum and welcome to old bikes. Take no notice at all of the rubbish on the last two posts, they don't know what you abilities are or your engineering skills. It's not rocket science. If you find the frame number usually on the headstock but could be other places and the engine number stamped on the side then go on the BSA owners website http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/Engine_Frame_Listing.html
You can then find the model and year. There are numerous suppliers in the uk and I would suggest you get a copy of Old Bike Mart which is a free newspaper, I have it delivered and pay the postage you will find it on Mortons media web site. Apart from general old bike info you will find numerous adverts for suppliers and restorers.
All the best with it.
Goldy

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
Look familiar ?

http://home.planet.nl/~leonhop3/1932_l5.jpg

Once all painted up, with all new parts and shiny and new, like all the other remanufactured similar, will probably be worth less.?

Remember, they are only original - once.
Exceptionally rare these days to see them as they left the factory...

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
Yes that's a good point and something you could consider Callum, what we call oily rag as you just wipe the bike over with an oily rag. This cleans it and helps preserve the machine as it is. Obviously perishable parts such as tyres and wiring have to be renewed.

Offline cgray0291

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies!! I am an aeronaughtical engineer and have been helping my dad restore his old triumph spitfire and I do alot of work on my cars myself! Thing is the bike has been sitting for nearly 50 years as it was seized but now is not! Had an inspection and the piston rings are no longer there and the bore is scored so would like to have the engine rebuilt and also the gearbox at the same time! I have found the mufflers for it as these were taken of years ago for, what I can see, no reason! I would rather get it totally restored to how it left the factory rather than leave it like this (but I may consider it!) I will be using as much of the parts on the bike ATM as I can as I also feel that it should retain as much originality as possible!! Thanks for the links and opinions guys, need as much help as I can get with this as im quite new to the vintage bike world! I'm guessing it's all about knowing folk with original working spares!

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:20:06 AM »
If you can get it running as is, you will probably find that BSA folk of the 1930s will be keen to get a look at how many minor details were done, and what the finish was.
This is what largely disappears when bikes are 'restored'.
Early 1930s bikes are particularly uncommon, the depression stifled sales, and bikes of that era were commonly run until completely worn out.

A lot of BSA stuff was common for many years, find out what size and how the piston/rings look and later parts will likely fit.
C&D Autos advertise a lot of parts for older models...

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »
P.S. Before getting it rebored to remove the cylinder scoring, have a close look at what the piston is like and how thick the cylinder walls are - it may be a lot simpler to get it resleeved to suit the present piston, if rings can be found and the piston is serviceable. And it will keep the cylinder walls stronger, engines back then tended to have thinner walls, not always conducive to lotsa rebores...

wetdog

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
mr turner has rings for your machine tel 01793823080 speek up hes hard of hearing