Author Topic: 1965 T120R Project Build  (Read 79458 times)

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • 1965 Triumph 650 T120R Classic Rigid Bobber
Re: 1965 T120R Project Build
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »
 Great Update 4 22 2013
Build is going great.

1: Getting ready to tie in ALL of the wiring to the main Electronics Box.

2: Getting ready to install and properly time the Boyer Ignition(builder told me he has to talk to a couple people to be sure he got it right or have an old Triumph Head come in and pay him to time it properly), he worked on it initially but he was HONEST and told me he had not worked with one before. I can RESPECT a mechanic who can confess his short comings if any.

3: Ordering up the Speedometer and setting up Mechanical Gear Drive for the Speedometer on the Front Axle.

4: Gas tank has been mounted and secured.

5: Need to mount front Fender, Mirrors, Front Turn Signals.

6: Getting her started and idling to check the Top End Gaskets for ANY leakage.

7: Install Clutch Cable and check Clutch Pack fir stickiness and check the Primary Chain.

7: Mount the new Exhaust System.

8: Mounting my Saddle Bags.

9: Just a bunch of Misc little things but no big major issues.

Major focus is to get this bike up and idling. We must see what this engine which has sat for 4 years will do and wont do.

Paint, bling, glitter, fluff and the cutsie junk can come later.

Builder guesstimates 2-3 weeks more and she should if all goes correctly be able to come home and for me to take her out for her road trials. 
It is not what you ride but that you ride that counts and no matter what you ride or even if you cannot ride we are all brothers and sisters in the wind and in spirit. http://1965t120r650.blogspot.com/

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:42 AM »
Finally she came home from the build shop today.
http://1965t120r650.blogspot.com/2013/07/oh-baby-home-coming-part-1.html
It is not what you ride but that you ride that counts and no matter what you ride or even if you cannot ride we are all brothers and sisters in the wind and in spirit. http://1965t120r650.blogspot.com/

wetdog

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
you might want to lose a few lbs or get some better seat springs (dont look up to much) bikes like that seam to be going out over here , bolted together after market parts (frame , tank,forks etc very 1980s ) , and the trend is to use more origional maybe modifyed parts , most by the japanese custom builders who appear to be leading the way , again  :(

http://bbworld.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/cat5098803/index.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:51:28 AM by wetdog »

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
you might want to lose a few lbs or get some better seat springs (dont look up to much) bikes like that seam to be going out over here , bolted together after market parts (frame , tank,forks etc very 1980s ) , and the trend is to use more origional maybe modifyed parts , most by the japanese custom builders who appear to be leading the way , again  :(

http://bbworld.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/cat5098803/index.html

Oh I have been on a diet....lol and thank you for noticing. That is rich though. Oh FYI the seat does not squat at all when I am riding. She was built out of my own head by a Custom Harley builder with 27 years plus in building custom one off bikes who had his start in the Bay Area of California then moved up out of the rat race city to set back up his shop and home to one day retire.

The style of bike is my style and not meant to appease anybody but myself. She is built along the lines of a Frisco Bobber and that is just how I like her. Totally one off from all others in many ways, taking ideas from other builds and combining them to create my own. She is not even close to final paint and glitter. A long long ways off. I do not live in the valley nor in the big city but where I live up in the rugged foothill areas at the base of the Sierra Nevada Range of California it is all Harley, Triumph and old school Rigids with some baggers and dressers mixed into the bunch and most of us that you would see riding are a tad over weight and full bearded due to our age and fine country living. 99% of us belong to the D.I.L.L.I.G.F. Club. You could say yes there is a lot of old school true in heart 1%'ers where I live and always has been since my youngest memories and not the kind of 1%'ers you find in the city either but real down to Earth country folks. I guess you could say the area is like the old school retirement community for a lot of old school bikers who made the scene what it is today.

Stock bike with stock parts? WTF is that? lol Oh that must be for the rich kids or the weekend warrior because it sure is not for the crowd I ride with.

Thank you for your feed back. Peace. Ride safe, respect all who ride, keep the rubber to the road and MLH&R

wetdog

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
on a diet me self , more salad on me burgers  :), which part is one off ? it looks like a kit , my mate bought a revtec chassis kit from the states which it took him 9 years to build and about £18,000 , ridgid frame , springer f end , masive wheels , 2000cc , 6 speed box etc . taken that long its a bit of a standing joke and as now out of fashion , goes well in a straight line mind , as you might of guessed im not a fan of these bolt together customs . As for the 1% , the bike , beard etc does not equal 1% , its on your back and its red and white round here with no exceptions , what does D.I.L.L.I.G.F. Club stand for ?

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
on a diet me self , more salad on me burgers  :), which part is one off ? it looks like a kit , my mate bought a revtec chassis kit from the states which it took him 9 years to build and about £18,000 , ridgid frame , springer f end , masive wheels , 2000cc , 6 speed box etc . taken that long its a bit of a standing joke and as now out of fashion , goes well in a straight line mind , as you might of guessed im not a fan of these bolt together customs . As for the 1% , the bike , beard etc does not equal 1% , its on your back and its red and white round here with no exceptions , what does D.I.L.L.I.G.F. Club stand for ?

My diet eating healthy and lots of exercise and taking the weight off slowly. Oh what do you think I weight in pounds by the picture you see?

1%'er here is in your heart and spirit and always has been. You do not need a patch to prove your salt is worth what you carry inside. Anybody these days can buy a 1%'er patch to look cool. Oh we have Red and White here. We have Black and White too and a whole variety of colors mixed in. People would be amazed how we all get along together. We call it Respect. I will never prospect any club due to I have always been a Loner and have always been respected no matter who I am riding with. That stuff of you cannot ride with so and so is going out of style here in the states at least in my region. We have the wind to enjoy together and good times to share. Screw all that selfish crap. My Back Patches attached.

Oh for D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. Club. That is also old school. "Do I Look Like I Give A F@ck".

Not a kit at all but built from when I bought the frame set up and Unit only and pieced it all together, we here in the states call that a Basket Case.

Kits are entire bikes you buy that come complete in a box and you put together.

The one off is because there is not another exactly like her anywhere. She is a one of a kind and when all done will have that look that just stands apart from others.

Thank you for your feed back. Peace. Ride safe, respect all who ride, keep the rubber to the road and MLH&R

wetdog

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
"Oh what do you think I weight in pounds by the picture you see?" .................... id say abit like me self , perfect weight but me heights wronge , for me weight i need to be 17 feet 3 inch tall . over here you limit your self as to where you can go with the 1% patch/tattoo reguardless of how you feel in your heart , but you can buy one if you want to impress your mates , i think i see what you mean about kits , my mates was a kit (did come in boxes) but yours is a assembly of aftermarket parts bought from different places in differant boxes which you chose your self for that personal touch , and then got your mate to assemble for you under your direction , nice , just out of interest is the finished articule worth what its cost you to have built ? and would you do it again , i only ask as my mates £18,000 , and he did the assembly him self appers to have been money un wisely spent , is this the situation over there .

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
just out of interest is the finished articule worth what its cost you to have built ? and would you do it again , i only ask as my mates £18,000 , and he did the assembly him self appers to have been money un wisely spent , is this the situation over there .

So far I have a rough figure of $5k USD into this project. I have about another $2k maybe to put into it to get it to final plus or minus. I'm going to have the wheels rebuilt with new Spokes and rechrome the Rims and Hubs. Powder Coat the Frame and normal paint for Fenders and Tank with some extra graphics included in. Engine will be pulled and total shined, polished and all side covers replaced with new. The old ones are just to beat up to save. I am also going to buy a brand new set of AMAL Concentrics with the new Chrome Slides at a later date. Love the dual carb look and feel to the engine.

It will never be for sale so the cost means nothing to me for the build.

With the big stroker engine your mate purchased and all the other stuff yes he went total over kill and would probably not be able to resell it for what he has into it. Might as well just spit shine polish it and show it.

Over here it is a Buyers Market and not a Sellers Market in our economy.

wetdog

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
"Over here it is a Buyers Market and not a Sellers Market in our economy" ........... same here , daft thing is hes about to start another , this time reversed head T110 hes had for some years , good money after bad , this was my last chop many years ago (thats not me on it ) handled poor

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
Nice bike. A reverse head bike is just a novelty. Not something I am into. My ride I have now will be a daily rider. My next bike I buy will be a 2006-2008 Triumph America because I would like to have a nice  cruiser that later as I get older I can Trike and still keep riding until I can ride no more and that will probably be enough bikes in my stable unless I find a real great deal on a really old Flat Head,Knuckle or pre 1960's Pan Head. Then I will build another. Nothing much impresses me at all past 1969 but the 2006 - 2008 Triumph America caught my eye after reading all reviews, specs, ride reports, holding their market value and more. They are running from $3k up to $5k USD depending.

wetdog

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
they are about that here but in £ , the few hinkly triumphs ive had have been hard to sell so i steer clear unless cheap . the triples are nice . i did have a pan wish i had still got it , build quality was far far better than the latter shovels and the amf 1340 was one of the worst

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
Ya I just found the look and all specs of the 2k6 - 2k8 America's to sweet to pass over and since I buy things for myself I tend not to want to sell them. The only thing I really do not like about post 1970 HD's is everybody has one it seems.

wetdog

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »
i know what you mean , not to many shovels about over here , apart from me mates who between them have about 15 , but they are always a secound bike as they all have evos (which i have to say are a very good bike) but i like older stuff

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Get a Speedmaster instead of the America.. at least it has twin front discs
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline 1965T120R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
Get a Speedmaster instead of the America.. at least it has twin front discs

I was looking at that too but I do not mind a single front disc as I am used to the feel. Thanks I will look at those as well. It is just something about the America.  :)