Author Topic: Sand Racing 1960s/70s before Beach Racing was invented.  (Read 11437 times)

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Sand Racing 1960s/70s before Beach Racing was invented.
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
I suppose this counts as Classic because men were racing on beaches before tarmac circuits were built. At the first Wallasey meeting of the year  some road racers entered their bikes to try them out. We had a lot of fun, the spectators did too and for free, the west coast usually went right handed, Wallasey, Ainsdale, Pilling. The east coast left handed, just move the sidecar wheel up and back, at Hartlepool, Redcar, Saltburn( a long established venue for record breaking), and Filey with a seawall for good spectator viewing. The straights were half a mile long so you couldn`t see both ends on a flat beach. Actually Wallasey wasn`t flat ,it had channels where the tidal pools flowed back to the sea and at 100 mph on a rigid frame it gave you quite a jolt.
The first time we went to Wallasey in 1967 there were 52 sidecar entries, 4 races of 25 crews in each and whatever survived the grit and sal$%^er in 1 race at the end. Then you had to race the tide to get all your stuff off the beach!
I`ll see how much interest I get and post some more later.

Offline PENDINE LRC

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sand Racing 1960s/70s before Beach Racing was invented.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
hello-very interested in any history of sand racing we are in the process of re-starting the sport on pendine sands and would treasure any insights into 'how it was done in the golden days'

regardsc PLRC

Offline brooksee

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »
Hello there,
I know it's been a long time since this topic was replied too, but thought I'd give it a go anyway. My Father (Gordon Brooks) won the Walassey Sand racing championships in 1968 and 1969 using a Triumph powered sidecar outfit. I remember seeing a photo of the start for the final which was printed on the front page of the Liverpoool Echo. His avererage speed from a standing start was over 100mph. Pretty impressive stuff. I was wondering if you knew of any way of retrieving a copy of that front page?

Cheers

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »
We only started sand racing in 1968 and wouldnŽt have known the other riders. The wirral 100 motor club ran Wallasey sand races, There were over 50 sidecar entries so they ran 2 heats then 2 more heats possibly shuffled and then anything that was left running went in 1 last race at the end of the day. Each heat awarded points to an annual Trophy and unfortunately we didnŽt know this and Alan Wignall would have got enough points to win the cup if he hadnŽt been in the same heats as us so perhaps it was your father who did win ifŽIŽll see if I can find a program or cutting from Motor Cycle News but as for the Echo you could try a liverpool library archive and I may find the races dates so It might have been in the Monday edition. Now that my father has died I will scan more photos and post them. Robin Babb.

Offline brooksee

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »
My Father started sand racing in 1967. But unfortunately, blew the barrels off his BSA whilst leading the final that year. Hence the switch to Triumph power. At the end of the '69 season, he sold the outfit to Colin Rides in Widnes.
I recall that the man to beat was a Bill Squires, also on a very quick Triumph powered outfit. And yes, you're correct in thinking it was the Monday edition of the Echo. Sand racing was quite a spectacle back then with a large following it would seem.
Is the Liverpool Echo archive online? I live in Canada, so it'd be quite a commute! Thanks for the speedy response.

Offline brooksee

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
It seems I'm a bit out with my dates. I've emailed my Mother and she seems to think it was 64/65. She remembers my brother being a baby at the time so it's probably correct. I'll be speaking to my Father soon and will get clarification.