Author Topic: bsa m20  (Read 10245 times)

Offline col2484

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
bsa m20
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
hello, can anyone help me ive just bought a bsa m20 with a m21 engine.
can anyone tell me how to start it, i know it sounds daft but this is my first british bike
only hade japs before. and im clueless.THANKS

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: bsa m20
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:37:59 AM »
Carrying a large bag of cement resting around the shoulders  slowly climb onto a first floor flat roof , when it's not ready leap onto the kickstart after first removing the spark plug and pouring at least a gallon of 4 star petrol into the cylinder .

Not the fastest bike you will have ridden but not without charm as it chuffs along the back roads, good luck .

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »
when you bought it did the owner start the bike for you , if its all in good order and timmed correctly it will start no problem ,

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
Normally a very easy bike to start, turn petrol on slightly flood carb by pressing the button on top of the carb float chamber for a few seconds, put choke on (lever to slack cable), retard ignition a bit, press down on kick start until compression felt, pull decompresser press kick start a bit further release decompresser open throttle very slightly and give the kick start a good heavy kick, repeat until it starts, if all is well with bike it should start with one or two kicks.

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
A lot of old bikes will not start unless you "tickle" the carb. As previously stated you have to depress the plunger on top of the float chamber until fuel comes out.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
When your bike was new the Army produced some training films aimed at showing someone like you exactly what to do and how to do it. All four-stroke WWII British Army bikes were much the same to ride and operate regardless of make so these films cover a lot of ground.

They are now available on DVD and I bought a set for old times sake earlier this year (I took my licence on an M20). Unfortunately I can't remember the exact details of who I bought them from but any local Military Vehicle Club should be able to help.

The films were produced for the Directorate of Army Kinematography in July 1942 who also did equivalent training films on Army trucks. I bought a two DVD set covering both bikes and trucks.

Cheers,