Author Topic: this is a new one insurance  (Read 15245 times)

wetdog

this is a new one insurance
« on: December 08, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
this is a new one , ALL cars and bikes which have a valid tax disc MUST be insured , or Sorn and the tax disc returned to the dvla , so if i change which machine i have insured ( break down , fancy a change etc ) i must return the tax disc ? which idiot thought this one up ? failling to do so is £100 fine

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: this is a new one insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
Seems OK to me. No insurance means the tax disc is invalid, so the last thing DVLA want is some t*sser changing the bike on a named bike policy just to tax other bike(s).
It's more work for them, so why worry, especially now that you can tax on-line anyway?

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
are they going to refund the duty if its less than 6 months ? i already know your position on paying tax so its not an issue for some one with such high morals and standing as your self where the tax system can do no wronge (enjoy stuffing the turky)  . this has come to light as i just bought my son a VW car for xmas , the car is taxed and mot till next July , and he is 17 in january and will start lessons , the v5c has come back to him telling him to insure the car or surender the tax , he is not a tosser but thinks this is wronge and so do i ,

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
this has come to light as i just bought my son a VW car for xmas , the car is taxed and mot till next July , and he is 17 in january and will start lessons , the v5c has come back to him telling him to insure the car or surender the tax , he is not a tosser but thinks this is wronge and so do i ,

You appear to be looking at this from the wrong angle?

The current rule is that a vehicle must either be insured or SORNed.

In order to SORN a vehicle the tax disc must also be surrendered (for refund) therefore technically you can't legally have a vehicle on SORN that is taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

L.A.B.

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
"You appear to be looking at this from the wrong angle?" no im looking at it from my sons angle , which is why surender the tax for a car he cannot drive yet so there for is not insured , the tax belongs to him as it was part of the car when bought , it is not a problem to sorn but why the tax part ? this is the new part . its a bit like if your not going to post that letter give us the stamp back

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
"You appear to be looking at this from the wrong angle?" no im looking at it from my sons angle, which is why surender the tax for a car he cannot drive yet so there for is not insured , the tax belongs to him as it was part of the car when bought , it is not a problem to sorn but why the tax part ?

Well that's how it is. A vehicle either has to be insured (even if it is not being used on the road) or it must be SORNed in which case the tax disc must be surrendered and it's been that way for a while now.     
L.A.B.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
"You appear to be looking at this from the wrong angle?" no im looking at it from my sons angle , which is why surender the tax for a car he cannot drive yet so there for is not insured

He hasn't insured it because he can't drive it, so why would he need tax on it? If he hasn't got insurance he can't park it on the road either.

Unless he was going to just drive it illegally with the current tax disc, and hope he wasn't stopped?

wetdog

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
why do they want the tax back ? i can not think of another situation where this happens , something you have bought and own is asked for back ? can anyone else , how long has it been like this

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
why do they want the tax back ?

?
You send the tax DISC back.

YOU (or your son) get the outstanding road tax (for each full month remaining) refunded when you surrender the tax disc. Think about it, if the vehicle is sitting there unused then the tax is running out anyway, by getting a refund you (or your son) will be gaining not losing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:45:41 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
That is great, but only if you can park the vehicle off road. What happens if you can't?
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
That is great, but only if you can park the vehicle off road. What happens if you can't?

If the vehicle is parked 'on the road' then it must be taxed, MOT'd (where applicable) and insured anyway, but that's always* been the case.

*(or at least it will be for as far back as most current drivers can remember).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:59:50 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »
Fair comment
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
The MIB is a separate body and contracted down from the DVLA to keep track of uninsured vehicles instead of the DVLA. (yet again another company funded by the tax payer with no real value for the public)

The vehicle is on my private land and I am incensed by the bother of civil law requiring myself to file a SORN, hand back tax disc then reinstate, all because I choose to keep a uninsured vehicle off the road.
And by not complying with these departments paper trails, receiving threats demanding £100,

there is a case for de registering a vheicule with this MIB quango , and it does smack of the large number of parking fines being issued via private companys (which also threaten legal action) i think ill let this one run and see how far they want to take it , i think they will give up at the county court stage , which ever way it will cost them far more than £1000 (max) so with any luck will prove un workable . and this is there idea of how to SAVE money , thank god there not running a private company

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
Wetdog,

Send the disc back & get the refund @ this level you cannot win!

Just do it & save yourself further grief!

Cheers

John

wetdog

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »
"Just do it & save yourself further grief!" ........ no thanks , im enjoying my self to much , this stupid self generating system is unworkable and will be dropped ............given that the transport policies in this Great Nation of ours seem to be getting more & more anti-vehicle every day/week/year

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:59:24 PM by wetdog »