Author Topic: HELLO RACERS-  (Read 13996 times)

Offline PENDINE LRC

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
HELLO RACERS-
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
We are a small and fledgeling motor racing club.we aim to stage our first event next year at the historic pendine sands in camarthenshire.we represent and are working on behalf of pendine community council , pcc , who control and own the access to the beach.
The sport of racing motorcycles down runways and proving grounds is well catered for , this is something entirely different.
As stated we are a small group of racers , some very experienced, some just keen , our aims are identical ,to promote landspeed racing on the sands , initially the first event is motorcycle only , as the more experienced racers felt that cars would ruin the [usually] marble smooth sands-bentley went 180 mph here last year-on street tyres , so we have the distance.
We have aligned with the I.O.P.D. [institute of professional drivers] to gain the RTA and other govt. permits.
We have deliberately avoided A.C.U. affiliation , but it may become necessary to encompass these people at later dates [for record ratification]
Our event is strictly * PRE 1990* as we ourselves ride british , american or aircooled japanese multi,s-

We have a facebook page that is the source of our most up to date info and contact details.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pendine-L ... 919?ref=hl

So- here is a chance to race your machine , as fast as it or you can or will go , without having to pay the large amounts of money asked by the runway warriors , and without having to ship your machine around the globe , which is not only a lot of tiresome paperwork , phone calls , and emails to laconic american officials , its also very costly.

We aim for a june date ,but are still looking at the tide tables and liasing with other promoters.

Regs will be as per SCTA - NSA - exclusions apply for older machines.

We already have a few interesting and powerful machines keen to enter , and the BBC are talking to us again about filming the whole event.

Feel free to join the facebook page and volunteer or join up and race-THE LEGEND CONTINUES

regards PLRC

PENDINELRC

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: HELLO RACERS-
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
Sounds great.   Keep us posted on dates etc as I would certainly like to come down to take some pictures etc.

Good luck with your venture.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline PENDINE LRC

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
great ! we have some great machines showing interest- a vincent streamliner from bonneville  ,two indian chouts,and some hairy chested singles.

will update here and on the FB page.

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
My father and I raced a kawasaki z900 sidecar outfit at Pendine in the middle 70s, I think it was anticlock, cant remember the result.  Nice beach, it doesn´t seem to matter about cutting up, a few tides and they level out OK. how does Weston recover?  Not that you´re doing that although you have to take it easy starting off.
We packed up soon after, it was getting too expensive and we were losing working time stripping the outfit and getting all the salty sand out of it.
Good luck with your project, at least the council is on your side .you wont get many answers from this site, they´re a a load of posers. (that might wake them up)

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »
I don't think anyone wanted answers... except you Wink....
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline PENDINE LRC

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
all are welcome i dont think pendine sands suffer from poseurs-plenty of room for them all tho !

thanks for the good wishes-you,ll all like this-we filmed at speedweek this year-it,s on telly SUNDAY

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0138mjb

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
Thanks for the tele info, we dont get a lot here in Spain. It gets lonely here thats why I reply to anyone except facebook Bomber. you cant race on beaches if theres no tide.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:30 PM »
OK, I'll talk to you Wink, I didn't realise you were lonely... not pleasant I have to agree.

I used to do a bit of sprinting in the early 80's at the New York Dragway (Melbourne near Elvington in N Yorks) on a Honda 900/1000 Moriwaki monster I built. It was very expensive as I recall (I spent the deposit for our 1st house keeping the bike going). One particular meet an old guy offered me a grudge race for some reason so I looked at what he had.... an old leaky Triumph and consequently accepted the race thinking of how I was going to rub his nose in it. We set off together and that was the last I saw of him. I did a sub 11 second 1/4 and he was at least 2 seconds faster! At the end of the race the old guy said never mind son... "we all learn the hard way" and only then did I notice the Wade supercharger bolted to his old triumph and the smell of methanol pervading. That killed my pig and I retired in my opening season.

In the early 90's I started racing again, this time as outfit passenger generally at Cadwell park, but by this time I was well into my 30's and the immortality of youth had long left me, so I did a season and re-retired lol.

All good fun and well and truely put to rest in my memories!
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline PENDINE LRC

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:55:37 AM »
well now racers are always racers-even bench racing takes effort to get right-memory !

our event is june 20-23rd racing starts 22nd-

please email georgina for our newsletter which is due soon-

pendinelrc@gmail.com

www.pendinelrc.com goes live in a week-

all the best  PLRC

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
Sorry to see you´ve had no response to the TV programme. I watched the 1st one where as usual they promote British eccentricity and it looked promising.  Father saw the 2nd and he told me the salt lake is 4000 feet up and you had problems with air fuel ratio. At least beaches are at sea level and a lot nearer home. Don´t lose heart, let us know how you get on. You are far better engineers than most people who restore their own classic bikes.

Offline PENDINE LRC

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
SO-latest is that we have almost filled the field-we have a fantastic sponsor in none other than BROUGH SUPERIOR-they have a great website with lots to look at www.broughsuperior.com
we may have americans competing-we have french,irish,scottish,german,and englishmen entered.
vincent.matchless.brough.panther.triumph.douglas.
and a lot of not english makes-very interesting field-
NOT TO BE MISSED-

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »
I missed it, what happened?