Author Topic: Sheet metal bike  (Read 5200 times)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sheet metal bike
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
I thought you might like to see this odd front wheel drive bike.  I know a bit about it but see what you think. 

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Sheet metal bike
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »

I think I like what I see! Thanks for posting.

Is the drive set-up like the earlier Megola, where the motor turns slowly "backwards" while the bike goes down the road? Great stuff.

I look forward to more info.

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
There's a  photo of this bike taken when it was "liberated" in WWII that seems to appear at regular intervals but no mention of what happened to the bike since then.

Obviously it has survived and its very interesting to see what was under the panelling. Hopefully you can tell us its history since 1945 and more about what is happening to it.

Its really good to see it surface again.

I'm with Leon, tell us more.

Chers,

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »
What I know about it is it's in private hands in the USA and intending to be restored.  Unfortunately it's in a queue to be done. 

It was one of the many prototypes liberated at the end of the war from the German war machine by the Americans in the rush for technology. 

I'm trying to get some recent photos and find out more about it. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:56:12 AM »
Killinger und Freund

One motorcycle was discovered by the US Army in the spring of 1945 at a German military installation, but it is not known if this was the original prototype or another Killinger und Freund Motorrad.

The K&F prototype went into storage and was discovered and seized by the U.S. Army at the end of the war.  It was taken to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, and was placed on display there for a period of time.  Later, it was discovered in a scrap heap and purchased by American collector Harry Buck now in the hands of a scooter club in Ohio. 

The K&F engine (pictured below) is as unconventional as the chassis.  It is a surprisingly small unit designed to be mounted in the imagefront wheel.  It has been described as a three-cylinder two-stroke, but it is far more complex than this.  Rather, it is three two stroke singles with their cranks geared to a center drum which carries the clutch and a two-speed transmission.