Author Topic: Royal Enfield Flying Flea  (Read 5354 times)

Offline normk

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Royal Enfield Flying Flea
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:26:08 AM »
 Hi All,
     Anybody here have any info on these, I'm playing around with ignition to see if I can get them to run, really only for kicks and giggles just too slow for road use. Also playing with an Ensign I can start it using a battery to the coil but it won't rev unless I quickly switch back to the magneto coil I haven't tried this with the first Flea motor but am thinking along similar lines. Any thoughts?
   Cheers Norm

Offline normk

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Royal Enfield Flying Flea
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:26 AM »
Well, not a lot of help here but at least this morning I broke it from it's slumber of 40 years and got it fired into life with a cloud of smoke. It is just for kicks and giggles, you couldn't really ride something like this,could you?

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »
i can not remember the last time i saw one being rode , if ever , bit like the vincent fire fly ( only must be better as these are rubbish , i know i have one on a rudge p/b ) if you do get it going and ride it you wont see another on the road i dont think , has it got the covers on the rear plungers still or is it ridgid or am i thinking of the  Enfield Ensign
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:43:15 AM by wetdog »

Offline normk

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
Fleas are rigid rear end with rubber band front suspension. Ensign is the modern version with rear plunger sort of rear suspension with the spring covers and a very primitive front fork design

Offline Bruce F.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Hello, I have an early Ensign I bought at a yard sale here in the US.  The wheels and axles are made much like those found on bicycles.  I want to replace the bearings but have to get the axles free.  I'm just wondering, should I press them out?  If I can't easily get the axles free, I'm going to just clean the bearings thoroughly and repack them with grease.   Any suggestions or information are welcome.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
For all things Enfield
www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/