Author Topic: Grandfather in World War 2  (Read 7503 times)

Offline pockt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Grandfather in World War 2
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
Hello,

I have a picture of my grandfather taken in World War 2, and am hoping to identify the motorcycle he is on. Apologies for the lack of detail in the picture, but its the only image I know of showing his bike.
I know very little about motorcycles, but managed to google my way to the image below...which to my untrained eye appears to be similar.

Any assistance in identifying this would be greatly appreciated!

Grandfathers bike:

Fruits of google searching (Ariel 350 OHV deluxe NG):

Regards,

-Trevor

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather in World War 2
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
There are other interesting details in your photo.

Look at most photos of WD bikes and they have a standard blackout mask fitted to the head light. The ID number is painted on the tank (no number plates) They are painted standard forces colours, khaki, desert, RAF blue etc.

Your Grandads bike is quite different. It looks like a normal civilian model as if it may be one of the civilian models impressed by the forces in the early days of the war before wartime production really got going.

An old boy I knew years ago told me about policemen standing by the side of the road stopping motorcyclists and taking their bike right then and there if deemed suitable for war use. For that reason he always rode a two-stroke because they never took anything two-stroke.

To finish off, yes, Ariel.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »
C61333 was indeed part of a batch of WD serial numbers issued to impressed machines of various makes. (C61001 - C62360).

It dates from the period when RASC were responsible for all 2nd echelon vehicles. The majority of these were dealer or factory stock purchased during 1939/40 and were generally fairly new. The machines taken on by RAOC for the front line units were referred to as 'Local Purchase' which is perhaps a more accurate description of the arrangement.

The vacant front and rear number plate positions were often used for the serial number between the discontinuation of civilian registrations at the outbreak of war and the move to instructing the factories to apply the number to the fuel tanks during 1940-'41.

This bike has the Lucas MT1130 rear lamp which was used by Ariel and BSA and generally seems to have been introduced during 1939 for the 1940 model year. It seems to have been given an all over coat of paint but it has burned off from the chrome exhaust (Is it a twin-port, by the way ?). It's quite unusual to see a 'name' painted so prominently on a motorcycle.

His cap badge looks to be RASC (Royal Army Service Corps) which fits with the number and type of machine. It's a nice sporty mount. I bet he cursed when he had to hand it in for an M20 !

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
"I bet he cursed when he had to hand it in for an M20 !"

Ariel 350 or M20 , bit of a rock and a hard place , but for me the M20 just about gets it over the 350 Ariel ( and i like ariels )
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:56:20 PM by wetdog »

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »
Everyone agrees it's a Val Page engine then.  Didn't BSA though have the two welded strips along the front guard as a number plate mount ?

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »
looks like an ariel to me

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Sointenly is!

Offline pockt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:17 AM »
Hello guys,

Thanks to everyone for their input, its appreciated.

I believe the name on the bike refers to an old Scottish song, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Laurie. Forgive me if that's obvious, but I just found out myself a couple weeks ago when I started researching. I had always thought it was his girlfriends!

He passed nearly 20 years ago...I wish I had been older (I was 11) and had a chance to speak to him and learn more about him in the War.
What I do know is he was a motorcycle courier in Italy before going to North Africa to be the driver for Harold Macmillan.

What I would really like to do is find one similar to his, fix it up, and keep it in the family as a tribute.

Regards,

-Trevor