Author Topic: number plates  (Read 3704 times)

Offline stevens

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
number plates
« on: March 05, 2007, 02:12:14 AM »
Hello.
I need to know the correct sizes of the numbers and letters for a number plate. The bike was made in 1938. I have a copy of `Motor Cycles and how to manage them` from about the late `20s that has a diagram giving the correct (and then legal) sizes, but had that changed before `38 ? The sizes that are specified seem so small.....each letter or number being 1 1/4" by 1 3/4" with a 1/4" gap in between. I have seen old (and what looked like original) numberplates of about the same date, with letters and numbers at about 2 1/2" high. Is there a definitive answer ? Perhaps it was the local council with whom the bike was registered that specified the sizes ?
Please help if you can,
Cheers
Jeff
Jeff Booth

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: number plates
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:28:06 AM »
Maybe the VMCC could give you that info?:
http://www.motorcycle-uk.com/vmcc.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:28:24 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline stevens

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: number plates
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:48:11 PM »
Thanks to the wonderful service at the VMCC library, I have the answer.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding number plates in 1938.  By reference to the 1938 27th Edition of Motor Cycles and how to manage them I quote verbatim:- Front number plates must have the letters and figures 1 ¾ in. high, 5/16 in. broad and occupying a total width of 1 1/4in. except in the case of the figure “1” or the letter “I”.  There must be a quarter of an inch between letters and figures, on a margin of at least half an inch between the outside figure and number and the end of the plate, and a quarter of an inch at the top and bottom.  A space of one inch is required between the number and the index.
On the rear number plate all the figures and letters have to be 2 ½ in. high, 3/8 in. broad occupying a total wide of 1 3/4in., expect in the case of the figure “1” and the letter “I”.  The space between adjoining figures and letters must be half an inch, and there must not be less than half an inch of margin between the nearest part of any letter or figure to the border of the plate.
If the letters are placed above the numbers there must be half an inch between the bottom of the letters and the top of the numbers.

I would just like to say again to the VMCC library, a huge thank you, you provide a superb service.
Jeff

Jeff Booth