Author Topic: Ballraces (not Chinese)  (Read 4689 times)

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Ballraces (not Chinese)
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
I have 50 unused ball bearing races to sell. For example FAG no.MS11 = R+M MJ 1 1/8 x2 to fit the driveside crank of postwar Triumph twins Pt No.E1591. Father says 50 quid a pair but I have no idea really. also timing side Pt No.E2877. The rest we must have bought for bikes we had but how can I catalogue them? I´ll see what answers I get and work from there.

wetdog

Re: Ballraces (not Chinese)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
i payed £30 each for these , and that was some years back

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Hi wink,
How about posting a list of the various bearing sizes?
or pm me the list
Cheers
John

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:50:47 PM »
A thing to remember here is that probably every classic bike manufacturer (and probably moderns too) did not make ball and roller bearings but simply BOUGHT IN AND USED BEARINGS ALREADY LISTED FOR OTHER PURPOSES.
So. Quite commonly, any decent bearing stockists can usually supply a matching bearing if you have the old one with numbers on it.
As far back as I can remember, I have never bought kits of bearings or bearings etc. packed in vehicle manufacturers boxes (including cars). If you do you are adding another agent (the vehicle manufacturer) into the cost.
The latest bearings bought from my local (general) bearing stockist include Triumph 5TA (1959) front wheel bearings, A Triumph Herald (1968) gearbox bearing and wheel bearings for a 1951 Austin FX2 Taxi. Oh. And a few oil seals too! Surprisingly cheap as well. The same man once supplied me with a water pump bearing for a 1.5 BMC diesel, unobtainable at any price from BMC dealers (though a kit was available for about £50 and a re-conditioned pump for £110). He charged me £9!
Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
Fathers getting bored now washing the old grease out, checking them, reading those tiny letters and cross referencing them, then repacking them, so I think its going to be sold as seen in one lot I will make a list and post it here when I feel like it.