Author Topic: Identification help  (Read 5850 times)

Offline vauxbox

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Identification help
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
Hello to all we have just saved a bike from the scrap but we have no Idea what it is. It is certainly a British bike would it be ok to post some photos and hopefully someone may know what it is. Sorry I have posted in general discussion as well

Thanks Graham

Offline vauxbox

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Identification help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »
Its either a 250 Norton jubilee or a 350 Norton Navigator
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »
It's got Jubbely forks and front wheel. I've seen a few fitted with a Navigator front end but only Ogri's mate Malcolm would fit the Jubilee bits to a Navigator. :)

Do all those lugs mean it started off as a 'deLuxe' with Norton's version of the bathtub ?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:12 AM »
These were never a popular Norton in their day and had a dismal reputation for particularly unreliable Wipac electrics, ( was there ever reliable Wipac stuff?) but things have changed with time. Apparently modern electronics make a magical difference and their limited survival rate now make the odd survivor interesting.
They're still a remarkably ugly bike fitted with barely adequate suspension and brakes but the Norton name still counts for something plus you only have 250cc running costs. I think its a keeper if you can get it back to standard road trim and as long as you remember it was the Norton bottom of the range entry model for learners and not a Manx.
It has its place in the Norton story.
Cheers,

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:00:13 AM »
I had a brief love hate relationship with a Jubilee deluxe as a 17 year old. It was a temperamental starter depending on the weather and it leaked oil faster than Jed Clampetts back yard. As I recall, back then if a learner could get a hold of a Navigator engine, they would swop the 250 unit for the bigger engine, getting you more power and the old bill would never be any wiser. Even then, ace bars were stretching it lol.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline vauxbox

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
Thank you all for your helpful answers I am not sure what we are going to do with it hopefully find someone who can use it or restore it. I could not see it go to the scrap so bought it of the back of the scrap van. There is nothing other than you see in the pictures no paperwork or registration although the lad who collected it knows the house it came from so it may be worth calling round as the story goes he was going to restore it but work and life took over as it does. My love is with 80/90, years for bikes not good for you guys I guess as it was all Japanese in my day. Anyway thanks for your help again if I get any more news on it I will let you know

Graham