Author Topic: R.E. model A  (Read 29157 times)

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
R.E. model A
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Now that we have established that the remains I have are Royal Enfield Model A (thanks to all your help) I am wondering what engine was used. Was it a Villiers or did R.E. make thier own?

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: R.E. model A
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
Royal Enfield made their own.

http://s23.postimg.org/75ux6sf4r/RE_frames.jpg
Quite unlike the Villiers, although not dissimilar in concept, in some respects anyway.

Note the large external flywheel on the rhs, the Lucas generator/points unit, and the pre-unit, presumeably Albion ?, gearbox - described as a '3 speed hand change gearbox', with 4 ratios listed. Beats me how that works !!
Earlier years had a more conventional looking exhaust system, with muffler.
Maybe this one had some sort of performance benefit ?

We can see you have not given up on this beastie.
An advert for an engine may turn one up ? 
Or a more complete project, which may be more whats required....

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »
As R says, it is all RE's own work. No using bought in engines for Royal Enfield but of course being Australia there is a twist to it as your particular Royal Enfield model was rebadged and sold out here as the Cottman Colt.
Cottmans were an active dealership here in Melbourne and for some reason sold the RE Model A rebadged under their own name from the mid-30's until Hitler stopped play.
RE never resumed production of the Model A postwar instead concentrating on the 125cc Flying Flea as their preferred two-stroke model.
There is at least one surviving and well restored Cottman Colt in Victoria that runs quite well although I haven't seen the elderly restorer on it for some time.
So, do you have a Royal Enfield Model A or a Cottman Colt?
Cheers,

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
Well now, the thick plottens even more. It has bits the same as the R.E. that Cardan posted that is in S.A., but how can I tell if it is a Cottman or R.E.?? The frame has the number 10094 stamped in the head casting on the left side downtube.Does this give any clue to identity?
I haven't given up on it yet, but it helps if I know what to look for.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:58:25 AM by murdo »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »
The obvious people to exactly date your frame would be the English Vintage Motor Cycle Club, their website is www.vmcc.net . I'd begin my enquiries there.
As to whether your bike was originally sold as a Royal Enfield or rebadged as a Cottman Colt I'm afraid that is beyond me. I don't know whether Cottmans sold bikes into South Aus or were purely Victorian or perhaps whether your bike was originally sold in Victoria and then ended up in South Aus. Who knows?
I have very limited information on the Colt and it doesn't include frame numbers. It is probably possible to find out the total number of Cottman Colts registered in Victoria through the Victorian Association of Motoring Clubs but again, the records they hold are based on engine numbers with few actual frame numbers recorded. We were very lucky they managed to rescue the records they did when the Victorian Government computerised but the records saved can be very frustrating. It's much like saving the trailer of every movie made without saving the movie. One gets an idea of what it's all about but not enough to satisfy.
Whatever the case, you definitely have a Royal Enfield model A, whether it was rebadged as a Cottman Colt  is another matter altogether.
Cheers,

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
The Royal Enfield Owners Club will date your frame from its number but they do charge for it £16 I think
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »
im not sure id waste £16 on this project , are they valuble ?

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »
Are they valuable ??
Try doing a search for a pic of a Cottman Colt.
All you find are things with 4 legs, and a hay motor...

Which may not actually answer the question.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
Some things with Hay motors are worth a fortune.. check Newmarket out!

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »
I've shifted too much hay in my lifetime to want to have anything to do with hayburners.  :(
I have approached this wanting to find out what it was, but I don't know about spending $16 to go any further. I may go back to western NSW next year and dig around a bit more to see if any more bits come to life.
On finding it was a R.E. I was enthused to go a bit further as my dad had a R.E. 250 (4stroke) from '39 to '44 that he taught my mum to ride on.  ;)
Even if I wanted to restore to original it would still be 'Grey Porridge' and not worth much. Better to buy one already running.

Steve.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:47 AM »
Better not to buy any piss fart 2 stroke.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »
On finding it was a R.E. I was enthused to go a bit further as my dad had a R.E. 250 (4stroke) from '39 to '44 that he taught my mum to ride on.  ;)

What year of RE 250  ?
While 'we' have decided its a Model A 2-stroke, the 1935 Model B 250cc could fit the description on the bits you have - maybe ?  Apologies for the lighting...

http://s18.postimg.org/xcn97z461/1935_Model_B.jpg

Enfields made quite a big range of models, and while many bits were model specific, some covered quite a range of models.
Those blade forks were on quite a number of models, even on the big stuff, unless you ordered the Deluxe model and got tubular girder forks...

wetdog

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
not a 2 stroke fan (british ones to slow unless a scott) but I do have some , I have a lot of F/B cruiser @1936 parts if anyones looking , inc forks , they are the pressed steel type .

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
Someone gave me a F/B Falcon last year (garage clearance), I tried to sell it for months before I had to almost give it away. It did want a fair bit doing to it TBH but they are just not worth restoring for what you get back... pretty much like Norton Jubilee's  :-\

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
R, the intake has a long curved alloy piece with brass carb that looks like the photos.
Will have to check with my uncle (AJS & BSA man) about the year of dad's R.E.