Author Topic: Excelsior Manxman Engine Number Font  (Read 13684 times)

Offline Zadig

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Excelsior Manxman Engine Number Font
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Does anyone know what font was used for stamping the engine numbers on Excelsior Manxman crankcases. I'm looking to get some stamps made up, but struggling to identify the font or close facsimile.

Thanks.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Excelsior Manxman Engine Number Font
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Why?????
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline Zadig

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
I want to stamp crankcase castings.

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
i have a few manxmans but im not keen on this idea , are your cases new ? are the numbers on the register

Offline Zadig

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
This was a simple request for help. Suspicion and interrogation was not was I was expecting. We have been producing parts for decades for those that can no longer get the castings or machined items second hand. Attention to detail is what we pride ourselves on and what we hope the customer wants, which is why we have chosen to spend time searching for the correct font. Both replies so far give a strong indication as to whom I am dealing with here so I will leave it there and seek help in other quarters. Thank you.

Zadig

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »
why not use any stamps unless you are looking to decive , i also think i know who im dealing with here and will not be helping  :P

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »
Well said
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 02:20:08 AM »
Please explain chaps. What's your suspicions?

wetdog

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »
bit like the velo stamps strange font , as for why this is not suspicios i think most would find it so , would love to know if this is the austrailian/new zeland  book writer (norton , manxman etc) as i had heard some new cases had found there way over there , there are numbers missing off the register and i have a felling these may start to appear quite soon , all you need is a good set of stamps (of the correct font ) and BRAR your away (the bronze heads have already been produced) i think replicas are a good thing , so long as they are sold as that , but if anyones got some asa stamps they dont want i have some rolled gold i need them for 

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
All you need is a sample and a Deckel pantograph,although a  die sinker could easily make the set freehand.A friend of mine does such things as a hobby,and has even made the backing script for the seventies Triumph numbers.He is not dodgy,but I think some of his customers may be. A cnc engraving machine would do the same thing without needing to make the stamps. Incidentally ,you can buy all sorts of vintage stamps for Harleys,as complete replica motors(and bikes) are available.You just add a genuine number,which is why you see bikes at shows with the engine numbers hidden.Regards John.

wetdog

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
"backing script for the seventies Triumph numbers" ................. i have this one also , and know of the old shovel numbers and star (very odd shape numbers) , and the velo ones , also the Dunlop stamp for rims , BTH for mag covers , lucas KR1 racing lables , your right they are about and can be made quite easily
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:00:58 PM by wetdog »

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »
If new cases are stamped in the old style but with clearly recorded numbers which are not part of the old sequence, I'd have no criticism of that but any attempt to build 'missing' engines would stink.

I'd love my 16H to have the correctly numbered motor but it has unstamped NOS cases and that's how it'll stay. Anything else is faking history and I won't be a part of that.

wetdog

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
have seen a few RRT2 gearboxes about of late (easy font /size) buyer beware , for me a real give away (with some but not all)  is the letters and number are far to neat and in a perfect line straight etc where as all the orrgional ones ive seen/had look like who ever did this at the factory was either pissed or talking to his mate at the same time 

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
The first time someone said"My Norton is worth twice what your s is, because it has matching numbers" then the fake stamping industry took off.Now in most parts of the world,various rules and regulations prevent the registration for road use of replicas old or new,as they are classed as of new manufacture,unless stamped with provable original numbers.Incidentally there were some questions on this forum about International frames.All the relevant differences to ES2 have been posted on the NOC singles forum.Those who have a passing interest in such things might like to note them for future reference.Regards John.

wetdog

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »
"unless stamped with provable original numbers" ,,,,,,,,,, and thats why people want the correct stamps ie size font , you know that there are numbers issued by norton and no machines exist with these numbers on today . a dateing cert off any of these clubs goes by these numbers and some times an inspection (but some times just a rubbing) with this slip of dispatch records and the letter headed paper from the club you are away . its the stamping with correct font and size which is the hard part the rest is plain sailing (im told)