Author Topic: 1971 BSA Oil in frame A65 Lightening  (Read 5601 times)

Offline brakemanbobsmith

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1971 BSA Oil in frame A65 Lightening
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:45 AM »
Recently picked up two 71 A65's, one complete and together the other 99% there but a basket case.
Plan is to restore the one that is together and complete.
I would like to strip the frame and have it powder coated. My question is what would be the best way to strip this frame? Normally I would have it sand blasted but with the oil in frame I am worried about getting sand inside the frames oil reservoir and it coming back to haunt me later in a fresh engine!
Never been real fond of acid dipping having had some bad history with this in automobile restoration.
Any suggestions?

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1971 BSA Oil in frame A65 Lightening
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:42:32 AM »
Paint stripper from an automotive supplier carefully applied with a brush and high pressure clean.
2nd option is to take frame to a blasting place that uses plastic beads or walnut shells.
3rd option is to burn paint off with a blow lamp (messy and slow).
If the original paint is still sticking ok, why not just sand smooth and repaint?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
Powder coating (in my experience) isn't that good; you can't use filler, nothing fits together afterwards and any trace of oil or grease leaves pin holes in the finish. Sure, it's tough, but then so's stove enamelling.
I recently had a pair of girder forks powder-coated, and even though every hole was plugged (either with studding nuts and washers, or sacrificial screws) the blasting media found it's way into the spindle area and it took a lot of shifting. The thought of some of that crap being left in the OIF oil tank tube is frightening.
I don't know what the answer is, but for your frame I wouldn't use anything "blasted" which is likely to remain and cause damage. Clearly there are options as so many T140s have been restored. Maybe ask on the Triumph Twin Yahoo group?

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I recently took a frame to the powder coaters (my friend) and he is very good at what he does, but forgot to take the swinging arm. A few day later I took the swinging arm and some other stuff to another friend who has a paint shop. Both items came back in perfect order but I must say the paint finish is far superior! Just something else to think about.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »
will soda blasting work for removing paint ? I have had oil in frame triumphs chemicaly stripped and p coated , the frame was plugged and tapped before coating and it came out well , to remove any unwanted pc Nitromorse carefully it falls off .
http://www.suttonsodablasting.co.uk/gallery.html
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:41:37 AM by wetdog »

Offline brakemanbobsmith

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.
You all have made some good points and given me something to think about!
Like Rex I to am afraid of any kind of blasting as I have found no matter how hard you try that stuff is imposable to get out and anything left in the oil reservoir is frightening!
Was thinking more of durability of the powder coat but didn't really think about a glossy shine that paint can give? and if I did go back with paint again I could just do a paint stripper or even a real good degrease and sanding.
Things that make you say Hum? 
Thanks again.