Author Topic: Need help getting a rough valuation on a few bikes/bike parts!  (Read 3557 times)

Offline TKay

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Need help getting a rough valuation on a few bikes/bike parts!
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
Hi,

My grandad is thinking about selling off some of his old bike parts and has entrusted me to do it for him. I haven't a clue how much any of it is worth so I thought I'd turn to the expertise of Internet enthusiasts to see if you can help me. Here is a quick list of some of the items he has:

Triumph 1937-38 speed twin engine
Bonniksen speedometer 100mph (unused since 1938)
kh250 Kawasaki complete bike 1970s-ish x 2 
Matchless frames 1946ish x6
Triumph petrol tank (also for speed twin?)
8 inch vellocette headlamp 1937-38 mss

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick ballpark figure on how much we should be looking at for each item?

Cheers,
Tom

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help getting a rough valuation on a few bikes/bike parts!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
An Ebay search is your best bet. Click on the "completed items" tag in the search list to see what's been sold. Some of that stuff, like the Bonniksen speedo, the Speed Twin engine and the Velo headlamp will probably surprise you when you see how much it could fetch. Even the price of rigid Matchie frames these days makes your eyes water... ;)

Offline TKay

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
Yeh I figured that would be the best place to start but couldn't find anything in current or completed listings that matched up for sure. Hence turning to here lol. Some stuff looks similar but for all I know a few years out either way could make a big difference on the prices of things!  :P

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »
As always, condition is going to be everything to establish a price.
Until we see the pics and description of condition you'd show on ebay, we have no better idea than just a wild guess. ?

Obviously, a new Bonniksen still in its box is a completely different prospect to a battered old relic that been through the wars.
And a pristine new KH250 is different to a worn old bike missing bits and been in 6 accidents.
A freshly restored speed twin engine versus a worn old old lump sitting in a damp shed for 50 years.
If you get our drift....

Putting them on ebay and see where they get to, if you are serious about selling, is the final arbiter of prices ??
Dusting them off and a bit of polish always makes an impression on buyers....

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 12:01:14 AM »
remember final value fee in spares is 10% with no max ie £1000 part equals £100 final value fee , final value fee in machine is limited , do the math before you list high value parts (Bonniksen speedometer 100mph with out the drive etc have fetched £1000) so list in motorcycles not parts