Author Topic: Wiring in Indicators  (Read 10354 times)

Offline paddy700d

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Wiring in Indicators
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:17:43 AM »
Hello all,  I've just joined and hope some one can help me out.  I am hoping to fit indicators to my wifes 1960's vespa, because she gets scared trying to do hand signals :-[.

I have a 2 pin 6v flasher relay and a set of led indicators how should i wire the relay?

I am technicaly minded and live for old cars and bikes so any info would be good.

thanks
Paddy

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring in Indicators
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:14 AM »
I have a 2 pin 6v flasher relay and a set of led indicators how should i wire the relay?

Hello Paddy,

It shouldn't be too difficult to do.

But first a few questions (please answer all questions that are asked if possible (if you don't know the answer or you don't understand something then please say).

So:

Is the Vespa wired Negative or Positive Earth/Ground?

Does it have a battery?

Did you buy the indicators and flasher relay as a kit? (as an older style electro-mechanical flasher relay may not work with LEDs) An electronic type relay probably will work OK especially if it came as part of the flasher kit.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

What actual model Vespa is it?

And you will need a three position switch = Left indicators-Off-Right indicators
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:30:26 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline paddy700d

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
Hi,  sorry my fault for not thinking about all the possible bits of info I missed out,

Is the Vespa wired Negative or Positive Earth/Ground?

Its Neg earth.

Does it have a battery?

No, She kick starts and then its a stator.

Did you buy the indicators and flasher relay as a kit? (as an older style electro-mechanical flasher relay may not work with LEDs) An electronic type relay probably will work OK especially if it came as part of the flasher kit.

I bought the bits separately,  toggle switch, 6v flasher relay (came brand new from a bike shop yesterday) and indicators.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

No diagram.  I have sussed out the wiring of the indicators to the switch its just how to fit in the relay to the circuit.

What actual model Vespa is it?

Its a Vespa Sprint Veloce 150 (1968 )

And you will need a three position switch = Left indicators-Off-Right indicators

Got one :).

Thanks for the reply.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:32:32 AM »
Its a Vespa Sprint Veloce 150 (1968 )

OK, here is a Sprint Veloce wiring diagram (pdf) which appears to show the indicator wiring circuit:
http://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VLB1T.VBC1T.w.ind.batt.pdf

Does the drawing correspond to the Vespa wiring?
Or is there a better example here?:
http://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/60.elec.html

The diagram does show a battery fitted, and you may need a DC supply to run the flasher circuit?

As you say you have already identified which wire to connect to power the indicator circuit, then take a wire from that circuit to the indicator relay ('B' terminal?), then from the relay ('L' terminal?) to the indicator switch, where the circuit divides into two = left and right sides, both having two indicator lamps wired in parallel.

No indicator dash warning lamp is shown in the wiring diagram, you may or may not wish to fit one (more info if you need it on that) most elecro-mechanical relays are rated to include a warning lamp (2x21W +5W) so the flash rate could be slower without one fitted? And an electro-mechanical type (metal case?) relay may not work correctly with LEDs anyway?      
L.A.B.