Author Topic: 1960s honda benly (CA95) no spark  (Read 8365 times)

Offline betterinaboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1960s honda benly (CA95) no spark
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »
Hi there all, im a young motorcycle enthusiast and I recently recieved a restoration project for free.  I was given a 1960s honda benly 150cc motorcycle and Im currently trying to get it running with only frustrating results.  The bike is getting fuel and air, the problem seems to be ignition.   The bike is complete and was sitting in a shed for an extended period of time
Is the bike able to run without a battery? The battery that was in the bike is done, had a badly cracked housing and has clearly been bone dry for a long time. I started by removing the carb, taking it apart and cleaning it. Tried unsuccessfully starting it after that. Realized I was not getting spark and concluded that it was because the ignition wires had rusted through and where no good anymore (I felt one of them crack from my bending it). So today I replaced the ignition wires which connect into what I believe is the ignition coil  (bolted inside the frame right under the front of the seat). I also replaced the spark plugs when i replaced the ignition wires. Still not successful in getting a spark. Can anyone give me guidance on how the bikes wiring is set up?  Can it be started/ run without a battery using only the kick start? Every time I kick it over the red light ontop of the head light housing lights up ( i believe this is the neutral light if im not mistaken?).  Ive tried my best to explain where Im at right now, what do you guys think? When im testing for spark im taking the spark plug attached to the plug boot and grounding it against a cooling fin on the cylinder head that i cleaned with a wire brush.

I found this wiring diagram online and it helps me a bit although i cant quiet decipher everything in the diagram but I kind of get it : http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-fansite/honda_wiring_diagrams/S110-Benly-Electrical-Diag.jpg

also, what kind of an ignition system does my bike use?  Is it a magneto? my friend who looked at it said it wasnt a magneto, but Im not sure if he knows what hes talking about.

Thank you for your help

John

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1960s honda benly (CA95) no spark
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
The diagram shows a magneto with the points inside the flywheel, so no battery required. Follow the Bk (black) wire from the left side of engine up to the coil, then to the key switch. Disconnect from switch and try for sparks. The key switch acts as an earthing switch to ground the magneto, so should give spark without switch. Try removing the coil and clean where it mounts to the frame. If still no good you may have to remove the flywheel with a puller and clean and set the points. Welcome to the world of old bikes.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
An S110 is quite a different bike to a CA95 - so that wiring diagram should be treated with caution.

Its not generally a good idea to run electrical systems without a battery, or you may fry something.
Can recall going for a spin on one of these, and doing quite a bit to the engine.
But nothing of the electrics, other than the leccy starter was a very capable starter, if the battery was good.

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
great little twin and becoming sort after , make life easy and get it started with a battery fitted