Author Topic: to restore or not  (Read 17815 times)

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: to restore or not
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »
I've owned my Commando since it was a few years old; It's ever so shiny, has lots of stainless replaced bit by bit over the years and a bit of extra chrome, some parts from earlier models and a few later items...It's like that because I was a poseur in my early 20s (probably still am) and I liked shiny bikes. I've mellowed a bit now and appreciate patina and signs of careful use but I still don't like neglect.

When I reconstructed my 16H, I kept as much of the wonderful dull chrome as possible but the paintwork had been got at and bodged by previous owners (that they painted the nuts and bolts too was a godsend).

My feeling is that pre-war bikes look fine a bit tatty but it looks much less at home on a 1970s machine, they just look doggy. 

Offline beng

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 04:09:58 AM »
I was a poseur in my early 20s (probably still am)

Had a Commando when I was in my 20s, a black roadster with a November 73' date on it's frame tag. Back then before there was the internet and the bikes were collectors items we all had different goals in life, girls and riding very fast were at the top of the list. I traded my 850 away about 1990.

We can still have fun doing the same things we always did with the bikes 20-40 years ago but  becoming historical artifacts is a change that might have brought a new responsibility along with it.
   That is the new thing I keep in mind when planning the future of the bikes. I admit when I was in my teens and 20s all I thought about was how I could improve what the factory did and how to "modernize" the bikes. Now days I think Norton did most things good enough for me, I think more about how lucky I am just to be able to ride at all, and modifications are for safety in traffic. 

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 05:05:47 AM »
Now days I think Norton did most things good enough for me, I think more about how lucky I am just to be able to ride at all, and modifications are for safety in traffic. 

A bit of maintenance, and keeping the rust at bay should feature in those thoughts too !?!
Or future owners may be wishing the PO did better.... ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:08:15 AM by R »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »

A few more jobs before refitting the sidecar, but not painting or plating for this one. the bike is a 1915 Lennox, made in Lennox St, Richmond, a suburb of Melbourne Australia.
Leon

wetdog

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
for me that's original , well done

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
What a great find! Do you know anything of its history, or about the people who built the Lennox?
I am amazed at the number of small Australian company's and individuals who have made bikes over the years (I have been told it was over 200 different makers) and how there are still some to be found in old sheds and brought back to life. Was reading yesterday about the South Australian made Trebligs in Old Bike magazine and did some google on their history. The family are still in the motor trade, now selling cars (Toyota).

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »

The Lennox is unusual for an Australian-made bike as it uses a locally-made engine, with a cylinder and head based on John Duigan's aeroplane - the first Australian built plane to fly. The first four bikes - single speeders - used the actual cylinders and heads off the first iteration of the aeroplane engine, which flew but had only just enough power and tended to overheat. The cylinders and head of this engine were replaced by the manufacturer, J. E. Tilley & Co. in Melbourne, with larger bore cylinders and water cooled heads, and the originals were used by Tilley employee Robbie Robertson, and later his friend Bob King, to build four motor cycles. Subsequent bikes, like mine, used cast copies of the cylinders (originals were machined from steel) and newly-cast heads. According to Robbie Robertson, my bike was the only Lennox fitted with a gearbox (4 speed Jardine). In 1915, while on leave from the Navy, Robbie rode the bike from Bob King's Lennox St motor works down to Yeats' sidecar works further along the street to have the sidecar fitted. So, yes, the whole story is known, much of it from the mouths of those who built it since the previous owner had the bike from 1955 until recently.

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
with a cylinder and head based on John Duigan's aeroplane - the first Australian built plane to fly.

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/images/duigan_01_1000.jpg

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »

The link above is to a photo of the Duigan plane with the modified engine, with water-cooled heads and larger bore. Note the vertical radiator and chain drive to the propeller. The photo below shows the Lennox bike engine compared with the first version of the J. E. Tilley engine for the plane, which was air cooled and drove the prop by belt.

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
Thanks Leon, there wasn't enough details supplied to figure out what was what...

That 4 could have given the Henderson a run for its money.... !?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:56:13 PM by R »

Offline beng

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »
for me that's original , well done

+1! Beautiful gem of a bike as it is.