Author Topic: How much should I ask for and where can I sell?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline stuart-a

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
How much should I ask for and where can I sell?
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:53:47 AM »
Following my father's death, I find I have a number of old British bikes/parts that my mother would like me to sell or donate to a worthy cause. What I need advice on is how much these bikes/parts are worth.

Although they've been stored in a shed for at least twenty years, there is a lot of rust but I imagine that most 'basket case' projects start out this way. If it will help, I could take pictures and upload them to this post.

I do have details of the bikes themselves taken from their logbooks. Details of the bike and the type of logbook listed below.

These bikes are all dismantled but its looks like most of the component parts are present:

1954 Matchless 350 / V5 and VE60

1955 BSA 250 C11G / V5 and VE60

1949 BSA 350 / V5 and RF60

1950 AJS 500 / V5 and RF60

1961 AJS 650 / V5 and VE60

1955 Matchless M21 600 / RF60

This bike is in one piece:

1959 DMW Dolomite 250 / V5 and RF60

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:24:50 AM by stuart-a »

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: How much should I ask for and where can I sell
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »
As there are so many, and your knowledge is limited, might be best at an auction such as the one at the Classic Bike show at Stafford in April

Offline stuart-a

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »
Goldy, I can see what you're saying as the people running the auction would presumably know which parts belong to which bike.

I'm encouraged that you think that these parts might be worth something.

However, Stafford is a bit far though for me (I'm in Devon) but the idea is sound - I'll look for local events.

I had thought of using ebay but the identification of parts would be problematic. I guess I could contact a local club to see if they would be prepared to help me. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks - Stuart.

Offline DM

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:38:51 AM »
Where are you in Devon,? I am in N Cornwall and could have a look at them if you are reasonably close ,to help you identify which parts belong together.
Dennis

Offline stuart-a

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:06:57 AM »
Many thanks for suggestions and to DM for kind offer – I will bear this in mind.

My thinking is that, at the very least, I should be able to put together a logbook, an engine and a frame for each and that this core set of components should have some sort of value.

For many I will have petrol tanks, oil tanks, hubs, handlebars, mudguards, etc.

What I'm trying to find out is what sort of figure these core items are worth together in order that my mother doesn't get ripped off.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or where to look for more information.