Author Topic: villiers 10D engine.  (Read 6391 times)

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
villiers 10D engine.
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:37:44 PM »
Hi Im having a go at changing the piston on my Villiers 10D engine. Having never done this before or anything like it I thought a bit of help would be very handy. It all seems pretty straight forward apart from one thing, should there be a minimal amount of side play on the rod at the big end? Hope Im not talking rubbish and look forward to a bit of help.  Many thanks.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: villiers 10D engine.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
With 2 stroke big ends, the important thing is that there is NIL up and down movement.
Unless its really excessive, sideplay doesn't come into it.
Have fun...

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
Hi  R thanks for your reply its nice to know that the crank and rod are probably ok. If i can pick your brains once more, when both parts of the engine seperated there was no gasket, or sealant between the two faces, is this normal for this type of engine.
   Many thanks  Bud.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
Was it in running condition like this ?
It would be very surprising if there wasn't a smear of gasket cement there - even the mearest trace. ?
Maybe someone who knows these engines better could comment, but I'd aim to use something there.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »

Because it's a two stroke, there must be no air leaks in the crankcase. Reassemble with a smear of your favourite jointing compound between the two faces - I use the treacly non-setting Loctite one but there are many others.
Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »
The original factory recommendation was to apply seccotine on the faces. As that has long disappeared Leons suggestion of non-setting Loctite is spot on.

Can I ask whether you have also replaced the main bearings and seals while the engine is dismantled? Its the ideal time to do it.
If you do take note of both the size and the grade of the new races. The factory fitted C3 grade to achieve the correct radial clearance in operation.

Finally, can I suggest you buy yourself a factory Maintenance Manual? They did a combined 10D/6E publication which answers all your questions. Villiers manuals are always on ebay and photocopies are available from the VMCC Library, BMS publications, Elk, etc, etc and they aren't expensive.

Cheers,

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys all very very helpful. And yes 33d6 main bearings and seals will be replaced.
 Many Thanks.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:03:05 PM »
It only remains to say best of luck and  have fun when you get it back together.

Cheers,