Author Topic: ariel vb600 petrol ?????  (Read 3670 times)

Offline galvanics

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
ariel vb600 petrol ?????
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
Hi , i have taken the plunge and bought myself my first british bike an Ariel VB600 1952 . i am taking delivery the second week in may so i would like to gather some info on general running , or any other tips / tricks you have any info will be greatfully recived

can you run the side valve engines on unleaded ? if not do you have to add anything ?

whats the best engine oil and grade to use ?

many thanks in advance

cheers carl

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: ariel vb600 petrol ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
Hi Carl,
The VB is a great big relaxed lump that will run on anything. I rode one of them to England more years ago than I care to admit to.It had some awful smelling stuff poured into its tank on the way and it made no difference at all. It was designed long before lead was ever added to petrol and couldn't give a darn now it's been taken out again.
Same thing applies to oil. I used 50 grade in the Aust summer and 40 in winter. Whatever brand you use is going to be fancier than what was around when the bike was new so brand doesn't really matter. As there is no oil filtration system to speak of the only thing to be enthusiastic about is regular oil changes. Oil is much, much cheaper than a new engine. heers, Bob

Offline galvanics

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: ariel vb600 petrol ?????
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:05:22 PM »
thanks for the reponse Bob, just the info i needed !!!!

cheers carl