Author Topic: Any one had problems with POR 15 Tank Sealer?.  (Read 6515 times)

Offline mell357

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any one had problems with POR 15 Tank Sealer?.
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
I found a tank for my Honda 650 Nighthawk project, basically sound but it did have some surface rust on the inside. I looked around and decided to treat it with this POR15 product, it's supposed to be meant for just this application.

Got the stuff and having read up I followed the instructions implicitly, it took all of a day degreasing, flushing, treating with metal prep and even worse drying it out as per the instructions. The finished effect was initially superb however one week on and the coating is peeling off in big flakes!. God knows what went wrong and what I can do about it now.

Anyone have any advise please. 

wetdog

Re: Any one had problems with POR 15 Tank Sealer?.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
i have had no joy with any of the tank sealer products about , i just clean out as best i can and put a filter in line , when its blocked i replace at about £1.60 a throw . if you seal your tank with this stuff you have also lost the option to braze at a later date should it be needed .

goggle " por 15 tank sealer rubbish" your not alone
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:59:34 PM by wetdog »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:00:17 AM »
I too have had crap results with tank sealers, and ended up having to buy another tank. As for internal rust I put a handful of fine gravel (the type used to mix with tar for roads) in the tank and stuff it tight into a cement mixer with lots of foam and let it spin for a couple of hours. Works wonders without much effort. Just make sure to get all the gravel out when finished and give it a coat of motor oil to stop rust until ready to use.

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »
will try that next time , I have a mixer and some ball bearing ,

Offline mell357

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »
Thanks guys, you are right I am not alone in having trouble with this stuff. If only I had Googled "trouble with POR 15" before I wasted my money on the stuff.

There you go, I should have left the inside of the tank alone, it was not leaking , I just wanted to do the best job possible having gone so far with the bike.

Hey, ho, happy days. Not!

White vinegar and gravel plus lots of shaking (I don't have a cement mixer) looks to be the order of the day. One substitute for gravel suggested has been a hand full of dry walling screws, easier to get out of the tank as you can use a magnet. any one see an issue with this?.

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
dry wall screws are very very sharp , I know they would not go tho a good tank , also having used a few I know they can have small shards with useually end up in your fingers , but I would not want them in the fuel system , try a hand full of coins .

Offline mell357

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »
Went to Wicks and got a large pack of 35mm general purpose screws, been at it one and a half hours on and off and they are having the desired effects. The stuff is coming out in large lumps but my arms are dropping off!
Also lots and lots of rust dust, very concerning. The issue now is what to do with this.

Do I white vinegar it as some people suggest or reuse the metal prep left over from the POR pack (it is supposed to be reusable). If I metal prep it I will have to coat it with something I think?.

As always advise is welcome, I will keep going with the screws to get as much out as possible.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
HI All
I have used the method described in the attached article to de rust tanks, no drama!!!!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

HTH
John