Author Topic: Villiers Mk. II / parts  (Read 11829 times)

Offline HoraceWorblehat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Villiers Mk. II / parts
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
For the attached carb (anyone knows what type it is?) I need the slide assembly as it is missing:

- throttle slide
- needle
- top disc
- top nut
- adjustment nut
- needle spring

If someone has an idea where to get the spares or a complete carb, please help. Seems to be a pretty rare type, since my search has not even been able to produce the name of the type, nor any parts or complete carbs. It is from a Socovel, YOM 1946-47 equipped with a Villiers 9D. Special seems to be the 45 degree fuel line connection.

Thanks in advance,
horaceworblehat
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:14:30 AM by HoraceWorblehat »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Villiers Mk. II / parts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:45:37 PM »
What diameter is the slide required to fit into ?

Villiers carbs come in a limited range of sizes - S1 etc. ?
Its sure to be one of the stock sizes ?
What does the Villiers 9d parts book say ?
The discussion on the Ambassador had some good info on suppliers.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »
Hi Horace,
The 9D was fitted as standard with what Villiers called the Lightweight or L/W carburettor. It is made to fit on a 1" stub. The Mk II markings relate to the various patents and updates and are basically irrelevant. As you have found out they only serve to confuse the owner and anyone else unfamiliar with Villiers little ways.
The last variation fitted to the 9D was the Lightweight 3/1 Special and quite possibly your carb may be one of them. This was a sort of crossover model between the original 9D style and the new 3/4 carb as fitted to the 10D. Many parts are interchangeable between the two.
I recommend very strongly that you get yourself a copy of B E Brownings "The Villiers Engine" published by Pearsons. First published in 1949 and right through until the 1960's you will need an early edition. Browning will explain at length what you have and how to go about sorting it.
I've never had any bother buying new parts but until you know precisely what you have you'll go round in circles.
Finally, Villiers carbs are quite different to tune  from the common Amal carb found on British bikes. They are very easy but DIFFERENT. Browning will explain all.
Get back to us once you have a copy of Browning, easily found on the Abebook site www.abebooks.com
Cheers

Offline HoraceWorblehat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
Thank you for the limk, but I just have received a copy this weekend.
Found a 1951 edition on epay uk for 3 EUR!

I am just working through it to understand what L/W version it should be. As far as I understand right now, there is a 1-lever and a 2-lever version. I need to get my carb off the lady and compare it to the drawings.

Thanks so far for your support, more to come...

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »
Hi again Horace,
The 1 and 2 lever versions of your carburettor are basically the same thing. The lever concerned provides the means of enriching the mixture for a cold start and needs to be slowly backed off as you ride along and the engine warms up.
The cheaper version has a single twist lever down on the carb and it can be rather distracting to reach down between your legs whilst you ride to adjust it until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. The second, de luxe version has a  second cable from the carb up to a small lever on the handlebars so you don't have to take your hand off the handlebar to adjust it. It does exactly the same job but is much easier.
As you now have a copy of Browning you will see the two cable system ( throttle and enrichment cables) is the standard system on the 6E engine introduced in 1949. I think by that time Villiers realised traffic conditions had changed so much that the pre war system of groping down around past your knees to lean off the mixture as you rode along was not acceptable.
Villiers engines are slow to warm right through. They get to an operating temperature fairly quickly but you'll find you will continue backing off the enrichment lever for quite a time as you ride. As the carb has no throttle stop it is your major adjustment for a steady idle at traffic lights and  other hold ups so you will fiddle with it quite a bit at first until you get to know the engine well. Then it is second nature and you'll wonder what the fuss is about when you let friends have a ride.       

Offline HoraceWorblehat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
Hi 33d6,

thanks for the clarification. That was my last concern, whether there is a basic difference in between these 2 versions. So I would opt then for the single lever. As the bike has presumably been built before 1949 this should be original. In addition there is no lever on the handlebar for this.

From the book I get that jet is #3, but for the taper needle there is #3 and #3 special. Which is the correct one?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:54 AM »
Very good question Horace. Villiers did a further wartime variant on the carb fitted to the 9D powered James ML (Military Lightweight). On that variant they had a fixed needle and fitted a butterfly choke/strangler to the air cleaner. I think this may use the 3 Special needle. If you look further through Browning you will find an exploded picture of this carb in the 9D section. Note it has an air filter and added butterfly choke/strangler.

No one quite knows exactly what was made or exported in the immediate post-war period. Things were very messy as people tried to get back to peacetime production. Information is erratic to say the least. Your engine could very well have been exported with that ML type carb fitted as standard. It is an easier set up to handle as instead of having an adjustable needle for cold starts it has a simple on/off strangler. Just remember the fixed needle arrangement requires the additional strangler arrangement for cold starts. It will run happily when warmed up but getting it warmed up without the strangler arrangement will give you a good quarter hour of bad language.
Cheers,

Offline HoraceWorblehat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:23 AM »
The carb I have is definitely not the special one. I think I will go for the single lever version, and try to get the parts for this one.
This seems the best option to me.

Cheers!

Offline HoraceWorblehat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Gents,

I have finally received the right carburetor, which after cleaning seems to be in perfect condition!
Thanks again for your support.