Author Topic: The Wardill.  (Read 13944 times)

Offline wildun

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
The Wardill.
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
Hi, there was a guy inquiring about an interesting (unique even) two stroke motorcycle called the Wardill - it seems a couple of prototypes were made around 1926, and I can actually remember it being featured in Motor Cycle magazine maybe in the early seventies.
Besides a few posts/replies by some people in this forum in 2007, it just seemed to quietly disappear under the surface again.
I am interested in finding out whether he or anyone else did find any info on it and perhaps be able to point me in the right direction.
I don't think any record of it should be allowed to be lost forever, as it apparently was an extremely innovative and successful  prototype, even though for various reasons it was not a commercial success. :(
Hoping to hear from someone,
Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:00:17 AM by wildun »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Wardill.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
Sheldons has an entry for it.
http://cybermotorcycle.com/euro/wikig/Wardill-and-Sons.html

These words appear to come from somewhere else, since the links mentioned are not included. (Anyone know Graces Guide ?).
And it does mention the 1970s magazine article.
If only 2 were made, they would seem somewhat rare !!
Anyone got a pic ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:26:52 PM by R »

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile

Offline wildun

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I am mainly interested in the engine design, (but any pics are welcome).
I already have some engine pics (not very distinct) and a short descriptive story by Wardill himself and it now seems that it was published in one of the 1974 editions of Motorcycle Magazine.
However, it has re kindled my interest again and I was wondering if it is possible to get a relevant copy of "Motorcycle" magazine from the archives, wherever they are. 
Maybe if someone has a collection of these mags and could ferret out this particular article for me I could reimburse him in some way if necessary. ( from memory the original caption read " That's what happened to the Wardill".
If any of you are interested i might try and scan the article and pics but sometimes these type of things don't travel very well electronically and the fact that they are already indistinct doesn't help! :)

PS I think it was October edition 1974 of "Motor Cycle"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:47:57 PM by wildun »

Offline wildun

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »
Checking out my old scrapbooks the other day and I actually found the article which inspired me years ago, so I scanned it and got a reasonable result. (Not too sure about posting photos as yet, but if you set it to open with windows photo viewer it seems to work ok.)
Even if no one is interested now, at least it will be on the net and someone in the future may be, so it won't be lost forever.!
I hope I have done my bit to keep this interesting machine from becoming extinct!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:52:11 PM by wildun »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »
Very interesting, similar to the Peterborough tractor idea.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
this also , lack of funds , this two stroke cross engine , super charged its self , ignition problems also , plenty of ideas out there but the people with control of the funds are short sighted or out for what they can make for them selfs https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimothey/4502664023/

Offline wildun

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »
I have been very keen on bikes for about 55 years and have owned around 20, but if I had worked hard to build up a successful business and had some spare cash, quite honestly I don't think I'd invest it in any small motorcycle project, unless I was very sure that it would bring a return on my money!
Got to remember that in the late nineteen twenties, there was not a lot of money around to risk on a venture like this (and there were dozens of small hopeful motorcycle enterprises like this one), also the great depression was about to hit, so I guess it was doomed from the start.

Mr.Wardill seems to have survived it, good on him for having a go! - He did appear quite philosophical about it all!

Thanks for the reply.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
thank god some did , and some did very well for a time

Offline wildun

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
Yes, and could still have been doing well (if only they had taken the Japanese more seriously!).  :)

Anyway, thanks to all you guys ( Mark 2 & R,) who replied and as a result I have built up a better picture of 'What Happened To The Wardill' 
I hope that between us we have saved the memory of what did happen to the Wardill!  :)

ps. MURDO I think I would also be quite interested in the Peterborough Tractor??
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:23:30 PM by wildun »

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Hello

It was me who posted the original question, I have a limited amount of information about the bike, but not a great deal. I have sent you a message, hopefully yo will get it and get back in touch.

Its nice to see someone else is interested in the bike.

and don't worry the memory of the bike wont fade away.

Mark Wardill

Offline wildun

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
I sent you a reply to your Private Message but this forum is a bit tricky to operate and i don't know if you received it. I also posted another message but it refused to send it for some reason it said I wasn't logged in then when I logged in it wiped the message! (It has done that several times by the way). - gets a little tedious!

Not good - Moderator?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:48:28 PM by wildun »

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
Hello

I have sent you my email address i think it may be easier to communicate through that. I cant find a way find a way to track messages on here.

mark

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
In the last days of Norton Villiers,Bernard Hooper developed a simple V4 2/s using a similar idea,different mechanically,in fact similar to the old Dunelt in concept,but with cross charging of cylinders.He later went on to manufacture the engine as a ultralight and drone engine.Nevertheless,the whole idea of non crankcase compression and scavenging is used in the GM/Detroit diesels, of which millions have been made since the late thirties. Regards John.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 11:27:41 PM »
Very interesting topic.
The GM/Detroit (and similar) differ in using a mechanical driven supercharger to push in the fresh air, but were none the less a good engine if used with the right oils.