Author Topic: Did you know  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Bentley eight

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did you know
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »
I just thought maybe if your thinking of getting over to france in the summer you may see some other biker's doing things that may seem odd????

The first time i brought my BMW RT  over i was riding through Paris (well the ring road around Paris) and i noticed one biker riding passed me and it was a girl,
As she rode passed she stuck her right leg out and nodded,

I didnt really know what to think "was it my sex appeal!!! was it the BMW with uk plates??? OR had some of my camping stuff fell off the rear rack???

I cleared Paris and pulled over for a top up of fuel and a coffee, All my kit was still on the rack, the haversack was ok and all seemed well,

Why was she sticking her leg out?

Anyway i was ready to complete the last 90miles of my trip on the motorway and as i left the service area and joined the motorway (route national)
a line of bikers we're in the middle lane and as they passed me as i got up speed all of them stuck their leg out so i could see these legs ,

I decided to find out what all this sticking legs out was about and so at the next and last top up service area before i went on the country roads to  what now is our home  i went over and asked the very same lads who'd passed me earlier on what the leg stuff was all about and this is why in france etc this practice is done.

Your not allowed by law to take your hands off the handle bars here in france and italy, spain etc and so to say hi or to say thanks to other road user's you stick your leg out and maybe nod ;D

So it wasn't my sex appeal, my leathers or the make of bike it was just a simple way of saying hi.

When you think about it i suppose you can say it's a bit like the velloctte LE  being called the noddy bike due to the uk police not being able to let go of the handle bars on the LE and they'd nod to their officers "much the same thing really".

So if you do get to come over in the summer and you get the leg treatment from another biker "you'll know what its all about".  ;)

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Did you know
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:30:22 AM »
 :)

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
The route national from Bordeaux to North of Biarritz has been fenced off and made into a Toll motorway, 7 Euros but I´ve found a way round which is prettier and less boring. Ask me for details if you´re coming.