Author Topic: How to sell classic bikes in UK?  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Sonychiba

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
How to sell classic bikes in UK?
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
Hi!

I'm new in the forum and also to sell bikes in the UK. I wanna move to this market because I think UK has bigger tradition about classic cars and bikes. Right now I'm working on two projects, one is an 1982 Piaggio Ape and the other one is a Victoria Bergmeister. I don't know which would be the best choice to sell, try to advertise on different websites or go to try some auctions?
Thank you for all the help

Offline jeff57

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • JR Vapour Blasting
    • Email
Re: How to sell classic bikes in UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
This is just my opinion:

But you could advertise your bikes on lots of different websites over here in the UK, and see what kind of responce you get, but most people over here in general are very appriensive about purchasing bikes that are not already in this country. 

However a lot of people do buy / purchase bikes from abroad from repitable companies and are very happy with what they have bought.  However  I feel as a private individual you might find it had to do.

You see as a rule, british bikers like to see ( close up ) and touch, plus ride what there going to buy, the reason (even more now days) is that so many people get ripped off (with internet purcases) from people selling things from abroad .

I,m not for one minute saying you are one of these people, but there are individual out there, who just take your money and run. 

Hope this helps, Cheers Jeff
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:12:14 AM by jeff57 »

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
Surely Germany is the place to sell the Victoria.I would put it on ebay,with a reserve.If its pay on pickup,I dont see how either party can be scammed.Cant see that driving across a couple of european borders ammounts to much.Out here buyers drive 2000 ks to pick up bikes from ebay.Poms are pretty xenophobic,and non brits dont do well there.Regards John

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
Poms are pretty xenophobic

Not me, mate! Philoxenia rules round here.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
Cant see that driving across a couple of european borders ammounts to much.Out here buyers drive 2000 ks to pick up bikes from ebay.Poms are pretty xenophobic,and non brits dont do well there.Regards John

Spoken like a real raw prawn. ::)

Our old convict dumping ground  is one big country,..... "driving across a couple of european borders " is not so easy, apart from the rip off cost of crossing the channel, about the most expensive sea crossing in the world, I need to show a passport just to leave this septic isle, my wife even needs a passport to get a  50min plane ride to the Isle of Man. [ look it up on a map] Coming back you will have to run the gauntlet of the whims of our customs and excise [unless you are under a lorry that is]
At certain times of the year it can cost not far short of £1000 to take certain types of vehicle, like a big camper, across to France.
Just one of many reasons I've let my passport lapse.

Have a look at ebay Uk and see the daft prices of bikes being shipped in from France, all the old 2 stroke crap  that that they cannot get paper work for in france is coming here. Mugs are still buying them.

1950s and 60s BMWs are not cheap, nor are US two wheeled trucks cheap, and as for the rests of the 'xenophobia' classic Jap and Italian bikes do very well thanks.

You'll have to vist us one day, but make sure you get in the right queue at Heathrow, just because you speak a version of the queens english no longer gives you a right of entry.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »

Our old convict dumping ground  is one big country,...
[/quote]
We are not all convict stock, my ancestors had to pay to get away from the cold, damp and miserable weather to the land of sunshine and warm days where we can ride all year round.   :P

It is a big country. Takes about four days to drive from one side to the other, and three top to bottom.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »

We are not all convict stock

standard pommie leg pulling ;)

I used to have an aussie  pen pal always trying to get me to emigrate, he would send me pics of his mates farm, which went as far as you could see, from a bloody light aircraft.
Anotehr mate out there reads the brit news to see how bad the weather is here, then sends me pics of sunshine,sadistic sod.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:44 PM »
I love it here in the UK and always pleased to get home (it is a bit wet) the ones I know who paid to leave these shores can not afford to return and some do want to come home , riding in oz is great but watch them rues come night fall , give me UK Europe any day with its weather and problems I still say best place on earth

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
I agree. Ever noticed how so many millions from countries with more hours of sunlight and a warmer climate than the UK can't wait to get here?  ;)

Ozzies are great people, and even OK to talk to when they're not crapping on about how great it is back home. Worse than bloody Yorkies, and that's saying something... :D