Author Topic: What years of bike are concidered vintage  (Read 8308 times)

Offline nickjaxe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
What years of bike are concidered vintage
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
Just joined the forum and got thinking...Mmmm my 1970 Bantam is not vintage prob classic...am I using the wrong forum.

Nick.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What years of bike are concidered vintage
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »
thinking like that you probably are.

The rigid rules set out years ago are
veteran up to 1914, vintage up to 1930, up to 1945 [i think] post vintage

anything after that is an old bike. this 'classic' nonsense was dreamed up  by folk who want to unload old tat at a premium;which seems to have worked. A bit like the car dealer spiel that will call a 8 year old Audi or whatever, an 'emerging classic'

For many of us that ride  bikes in the former categories  a 1970 bike is more or less a new one.

I suspect your bike is older than you? If so then you are in the right place, but classic is not what I'd label a 1970 Bantam even though having had a few, I have nothing against them.

If you look through older posts here you'll see there is no discrimination.

There is a BSA club, the British two stroke club, don't know if there is a dedicated Bantam site.

Offline Don Vosper

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
I have no doubt you are in the right place, there's probably more than one right place anyway.
If forums or clubs relied on "vintage" being pre 1930, as is the original classification, they would be very small clubs.
I was a member of the VMCC for a while in the 90's and there were a number of 20's bikes turning up at events regularly. Over the years the became fewer. and the 50's and 60's bikes became prevalent. Now I understand it's Japanese.
I get the impression that the veterans and vintage are falling into the hands of rich collectors and don't see the light of day very often.
Don

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »
for insurance , if its over 15 years old its a classic and insurance can be low . pre 1974 and its free tax , pre 1960 and no mot req , its this last one which has created a market for some right rubbish , buyer be ware

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
Don't get hung up on this they are all just words Veteran Vintage Classic you have veteran soldiers, vintage wine, classic  cultures such as Greek or Latin and not forgetting the classic horse races I suppose it all depends on the way each individual looks at it. With regard to vehicles if you want enter the London to Brighton Veteran Run it has to have been built before 1905. I have no strong feelings myself if it is over 25 years old and no longer in production then  to me it is a classic but that is just my opinion others will probably differ. I think you will find that most people would consider your bantam as a classic as is my 1956 BSA A7 and 1963 BSA A65.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
"Brighton Veteran Run it has to have been built before 1905"   I think its 1915

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
 i agree with all the above in various degrees, the words classic, and vintage are will overdone and indeed abused.
Take no notice
Insurance will accept anything over 25 yrs old as 'classic' but  not,in my experience t if it's your everyday vehicle, my little used Morris 1000 is 'classic' but my 26 yr old Peugeot 205 isn't.

I thnk the reason pre 1930s bikes are so little seen is for several reasons, some owners are too old to ride much, modern traffic is just too intolerant of them, and on this island theres not much scope for a quiet run-out on one's own. Not where i live anyway.

Tomorrow though is the Banbury run where a good few not so rich riders will give their pre 1930 stuff a good outing.
I try to get out on my 1929 Sunbeam on quiet weekdays in between the school run idiots and rush hours. A lot easier now the need for an MOT has been lifted.

Just ride your Bantam, and enjoy it.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
I use these , 15 years so this inc some very fast bikes \
We’re pleased you have chosen to get a classic motorcycle insurance quote from Footman James. Your online quote should only take a few minutes to complete.

Before we start, can you confirm...

➢ The vehicle is

Over 15 years old
• Valued at under £50,000
• Kept in a garage at night in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
If you check on line you will find that cars have to have been manufactured before 1905

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
sorry I thought we where talking bikes , Epsom to brighton pioneer run , I think London / brighton is a different event

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »
Isn't there a pioneer class for cars?

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
the sunbeam club run , im not sure about cars and ive never noticed any on the run , but any pre 1915 motorcycle is able to enter , its not very good , Banbury which was today is better