Author Topic: Le velo club  (Read 14914 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Le velo club
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
Anyone got any idea how to get through the wall of  secretive security this club puts up?
I have registered, after a load of nonsense, and  received  email acknowledgement notice, then nothing since.
It seems impossible to find an email address for any officer of that club unless I want to go via a microsoft app. no thanks.

All I want to do is buy a bloody LE :-\ :o :o :o :o

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Le velo club
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »
you don't have to be in the club to buy a LE (not many in the mag if any) which area are you in I will post your area contact , the club like the bikes move slow , whats the rush , the mag comes out every 6th week and its good .

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »
SN9 wiltshire is where I am.
no hurry to buy one, just thought there might be a selection on offer.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
I see there are non on ebay that must be a first , you can contact "newmembsec@mypostoffice.co.uk" this is mr skillen , your area branch only gives his address and phone number so I will have to ask him first if its OK , if you have filled out the forms and paid you will start to get the mag , some issues there might be one or two for sale but not often and never cheap as they are normally well sorted/restored bikes , the LE is not a easy or cheap bike to restore and you will never show a profit or get your money back .

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
thanks Mark2, its the  on line forum I am talking about, not the club. No wish to join yet another club.

the LE is not a easy or cheap bike to restore and you will never show a profit or get your money back

I'm a one time pro bike restorer,  long term contributor to the bike press, ex met police mechanic, and 50 yrs on vintage machines should answer for the rest of your points, which I take in the spirit they are given :)

I'll give up then  on the LE club I think, and go the ebay/jumble/ ads route  I just missed a good one at Netley through not havig enoughh cash on me even though I'd haggled the guy away from his price.
 Its wanted for sentiment sake only, no rush.
and they are cheaper than a late Bantam, which is another one  for the sentiment thing, plus for me not as desirable as the LE.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »
not sure what a late bantam will fetch but a well sorted LE is not cheap , I saw one on ebay and it looked very nice but at £4000 I cannot think it sold , I sold a vogue there last week in original condition and totally complete apart from screen £1200 , last LE I sold was £700 but needed lots of work and total rebuild

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
Maybe club members are an optimistic lot?

At Netley I could have got, after haggling, a tidy running late LE  with docs and good enough for what I want for £600. I lost it because I went home instead of to the nearest cash machine.
No ones fault but my own.

Theres a few around, and realistically a limited market.

Club sales from any bike club of any make are a sore point;  wildly overpriced by sellers, wanted near free by buyers.

I had on offer  year before last,  a very tidy and well sorted 350 single of famous make; advertised in the owners club in which I was well known it bought sod all response bar two total timewasters.

In the end it went to a guy I  had done work for, who knew my standards, at the price I asked, to New Zealand and he's well chuffed with it.

Meanwhile members of that club sit around moaning the lack of reliable sellers of good bikes.

Present day prices of mediocre machines  are absurd. When  98cc James or other mediocre Villiers engined machines are on offer at over 1000 quid[see ebay] its time to sit back and take stock.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
it really comes down to what people will pay , go to any event and I hear time and time "that's what it will fetch on ebay" its hard to find a bargain , at £600 with V5C and in ok condition that's very good when a pile of parts totally shot no docs is fetching @£400

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »
"that's what it will fetch on ebay"

my answer to that is, well off you go to ebay then.

I have stock answers to other motorcyclist silliness as well.

#....But my mate says.....

#...it just needs a service.

# the number plate is worth 10,000£ so its a bargain at 8...

# I'm looking for offers [cos I am scared I'll sell it too cheap]

#total restoration just needs finishing.

I should have grabbed the £600 quid lot I know, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Bike prices are just stupid, I am running a Peugeot 205 which cost me £250 via ebay, some years ago, compared to 400 quid plus for a pile of scrap bike parts, bargain of the millenium

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
Try giving Rob Reaney a call at Dronfield, he comes up with odd one or two and as you are in no hurry he may be able to help. Just google rob reaney and sons.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
yes he had a couple of bikes  I watched,  I'm not inclined for a long journey to buy one though.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
Ah yes the optimists site.

Three LEs on there  from same seller way up near Aberdeen, didn't reach their reserve on ebay last week.

Much like the one one from Rob Breany.

I can't for the life of me value an LE at around £1000, let alone more, even if they do go over that.

I'll do the rounds of the jumbles, it will be an excuse to go and I won't be upset if I don't find one, Its just for sentiments sake I'm looking.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:39:16 PM by mini-me »

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 02:41:59 PM »
that's exactly what I thought about triumphs 30/40 years ago £500 750cc bonny  , LEs are the poor mans velocette but they keep on going up , maybe one day when all the old ones have gone they will collapse and go back to the price they should be £50 for a nail or £250 on the road , happy days

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 09:28:45 AM »