Author Topic: Villiers id help needed  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Akat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Villiers id help needed
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:15:03 AM »
I just discovered this site and this is my first post. I live in MN USA and have a small collection of bikes. I just bought a single cyl. Villiers engine that I was told was from a James Comet. It has an exposed flywheel and 2 speed cable operated transmission. There are numbers stamped on the engine, three marks that I can't make out followed by A1714. I'd like to establish the approximate year of manufacture if possible. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Villiers id help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm may be of help , interesting story of a once great company

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »
Try  www.hulsmannmotor.nl/villiers_motornummers.html   and see if your engine number prefix is there. You can translate the page if you wish.
According to the villiers book  Prefix A was introduced in 1951
                                                         B                             1956
                                                         D                             1960
                                                         E                              1963
                                                         F                               1966.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:13:37 PM by darloman »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
Well, those numbers you can't make out are the identifying numbers. They will tell both what the engine was originally fitted in and a broad year of manufacture. From your description it is probably a 98cc 2 speed type 1F engine of which the James Comet was but one of the many users.
It looks like a good clean up job is needed so you can read them. All will then come clear.
Best of luck,

Offline Akat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. What was used to move the shift cable? Was there a lever of sorts or a twist grip? Sorry for the questions that may be elementary to some but I am not at all familiar with these engines. Thanks.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:00:39 AM »
The original unit came with a lever to clip on the handlebar. The top plate of the lever was marked High, N, Low to show which way the operator had to move it after pulling in the clutch lever. It was a rather inelegant solution as the rider had to use their left hand to pull in the clutch lever, their right hand to operate the twistgrip and the other hand to move the lever. You get the picture.
It's not as bad as it sounds. I've ridden a 1929 two speed Excelsior two-stroke for many years and you soon learn how to do it without cocking it up. You pay MUCH more attention to your riding even though you look slow to bystanders.
Cheers,

Offline Akat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 02:16:44 AM »
After a good cleaning the numbers are, 161A17140. Cast in the cyl. is 753 The side cover is marked Mark 1F. Thanks again for the help.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
Your engine was supplied to fit the Bond Minbyke made between 1951-53. The Bond was a rather odd cross between a motorcycle and scooter. I've only ever seen one on the road and that was a long time ago.
Cheers,

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »
That probably puts you one up on the rest of us !

And without the trimmings.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:59:18 PM by R »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »
You can see why it stuck in the memory can't you. It was in Wollongong, NSW. Weird stuff turned up in the 'Gong. I've no idea why.

Cheers,