Author Topic: Batavus / Starflite GTS  (Read 10900 times)

Offline HareRacer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Batavus / Starflite GTS
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
Hey all...

I'm new to the forum but wanted to see if anyone here has any info or leads on parts for a Batavus GTS motorcycle.  This 49cc bike featured the Sachs 50S engine (5 speed, no pedals) and was mainly sold in Europe (Germany, Austria, Belgium, etc) under the name Starflite GTS from around 1974-1978.  At least some of them came into the US as mine has a "Ghost" dealer sticker from New York.   

The body and tank are identical to the other Starflite models (Mk2, Mk4) that had different Sachs engines and were more like mopeds.

Anyway, I just bought one and I'm looking for parts / info and possibly the name of shops or experts that know about this engine.   Let me know if you remember this one...  I'll attach a "stock" photo and work on getting shots of mine, although it's rough from sitting.  I know I'm going to need a seat, tank and a few other items.

Thanks in advance!

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Batavus / Starflite GTS
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »
Nice looking little bike. Hope yours will look as good when restored.

Offline HareRacer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »
Thanks!  This one has been sitting outside for a while so little things will add up.  Front wheel bearings are frozen, throttle cable fittings are all rusted, rear brake rod adjuster is frozen in place, etc.   Most rubber parts like the carb "accordion" and such are hard / cracked.   Fun stuff!   Does anyone have a source for control cable fittings / ends such as a site with photos so I can see what I need to order?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
I get all my control cable bits & pieces from Vehicle Wiring Products www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/homepage/home.html - as well as electrical wiring, connectors etc.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Vr3506

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
Hi,

I am also new on this forum
My name is Jan, I live in the Netherlands.
On internet I was looking for some Starflite information, because I am building one at the moment.
In Germany there are some good part suppliers.
In Holland there is also a Batavus club.
Some of the members of this club have a Starflite GTS

Offline HareRacer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
Hey Jan!   Thanks for replying.  I've actually been in touch with some very helpful members of the Batavus club in the NL and found quite a lot of engine parts /supplies from a German site (mopedparts.de).

For everything else that's specific to this bike (like the body panels, suspension, brakes, tank, etc), that seems to be a little bit harder.   Some can be found on the related Batavus / Starflite GTM, Mk2 and Mk4S models (smaller engines) but not everything.    Some individual controls and parts (like carb parts) were shared with other bikes that featured the Sachs 50S (like the KTM Comet, DKW and Hercules K50 series).    The search continues.   I'm learning a ton each day.

For the engine, there doesn't seem to be a lot of folks here in the States that are familiar with the Sachs 50S, but I did just find out that Penton's had some 80cc-125cc versions of much the same engine, so I'm going to find out if there are experts out there that may be able to help.  There's a few special tools required to take this thing apart.

Right now I'm trying to find out about rebuilding the wheels and brakes on mine.  I have some leads on companies here that can rebuild wheels but may need a source for the 17 x 1.5" wheels and spokes themselves.    The brakes "should" be Grimeca 160mm in the front, but I can't find any documentation or numbers.  Also looking into trying to get pads or having mine relined. 

What year is your Batavus / Starflite?   Is it the 50S version?

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
Re the 17" rims, Honda 90/110 (what we call postie bike here in OZ because the postal service use them for deliveries) use them and are very cheaply available from Asia.

Offline Vr3506

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
Hi Hareracer,

My bike is the Starflite GTS, is has the Sachs 50S engine, 5 speed 49cc 6,25 HP, so i think we have the same bike. (It's from 1974). Bought it in Germany.
I own the bike for over 10 years already, net took the time to rebuild it again. I started finishing this project just  some weeks ago.
Here in the Netherlands, this bike can be registrated as a small motorcycle.
I will try to find a set of decalls, because i have to repaint the bike. I will contact some guys here.

Regards Jan

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:49:50 PM »
did KTM also use this engine about the same time , with pedals

Offline HareRacer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »
Murdo, thanks for the tip on the rims.  I'll check that out.  I've got to see how many spokes the original rims have on them and see if any of the Asian options will work.   

Mark...on some research, it appears a number of manufacturers used the Sachs 50S engine including KTM (Comet), Hercules (K50 and others), DKW and Batavus. 

There were other Sachs engines made around the same time for other similar bikes including the 501, 502, 505, etc.  Some of those had pedal start and were installed in mopeds (Sachs Seville, Balboa, Westlake, Sparta, General 5-Star, Eagle, Hercules and even some KTM mopeds).  The most common Sachs moped motor in the US is probably the 505, I think.

Anyway, I believe that the 50S, however, was among the most powerful as Jan points out (6.25hp) and has kick start and a 5 speed trans with a multi-plate clutch.   

The 50S had at least two generations (maybe three) with the early generations having cast iron cylinders and smaller cylinder heads.   The last version of the 50S before it went to water cooling had the head with the huge radial fins as shown in the photo above.  Most people think it's a 125 when they see it.

These Batavus / Starflite bikes were apparently sold at big stores or from catalogs in Europe back in the day to compete with Garelli, Puch, Honda and some others that had strong 50cc "light motorcycle" options.   There's a really neat article from the mid-70's that pits them all against each other in terms of power, handling, etc.  Fun stuff!   

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 07:34:36 AM »

Offline HareRacer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »
Thanks for sending that link.  The auction doesn't say what size those wheels are but I'm looking for 17" x 1.5".  I also need to see how many spokes mine have and if something like that will work for this bike.   

Since I've never done this, can most shops cut / make spokes to fit the hub/brake diameter that I have or is that  specialized type of thing?

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
The small Honda's have 17" and they would be no wider than 1.5" with 36 holes, but that is just an example of what I was meaning.
Spokes can be made to any length by a wheel rebuilding shop.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »
triumph used 17inch rims but tyres became hard to find , can you get the 17inch tyres now ?

Offline HareRacer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »
Thanks guys... yes, the 17" tires are somewhat easy to find.  This one uses 17" x 2.75" tube-type tires and I'm thinking of going with Michelin Gazelles, although I saw some other brands with a more "retro" look on some other sites.