Author Topic: Starting a BS SS100 replica build - help!  (Read 7901 times)

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starting a BS SS100 replica build - help!
« on: July 18, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »
Yes, I have gone down the rabbit hole.

Gents, I have decided to build a replica SS100.  Due to availability of original parts, and cost of the repro bike from the re-constituted Brough Superior in Austria, I am going to have to fabricate and machine the whole thing myself.

I am talking with and joining the BSC and VMCC and probably also the Morgan club.  When I have corresponded with them, they have all been really helpful.  I am beginning to put up postings in the Autojumble looking for blue prints and machinist's drawings. 

Any guidance or suggestions you can provide - especially for sources for detailed, dimensioned drawings for the SS100 hard tail AGS frame, the JAP JTOR motor, Sturmey Archer super heavy weight transmission or Castle forks, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Matt

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a BS SS100 replica build - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:53:41 AM »
I waz imprezzed when someone came on his harley to visit my neighbor  - all kitted out with with springer forks (not unlike Castles), BS type exhaust system AND a timing cover with forward extension, very much like the JAP.
I didn't have a camera with me, but at first glance it looked like a JAP engined BS...

Not having drawings doesn't stop that guy in Canada that made the V4 Ajay replica !
He just did it all by eye from photos, and made it work ...

There are lots of folks doing JAP engines, when you count them all up.
http://www.mfcpatterns-castings.co.uk/page5.htm
Surely there would be less cost just buying one than all the expense of doing it yourself ?
Less fun though, if you have the time  ...

Keep us posted.

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 01:15:36 AM »
Doing it all myself - touching every single part that goes into that bike - is important to me.  I would probably do it this way even if I could afford to buy the parts off a shelf.

I have been talking with Paul at MFC.  Those folks are great - highly professional, great response times.  Their castings still need to be machined, though.  And you can either go to someone like the folks at Merlin (who do amazing work) or do the machining yourself.

No matter how you slice it, it's going to be one hell of an adventure.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »
Have you done this sort of work before?

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Yes.  Always with cars, though.  This will be my first bike build.  This is also the first project I'vr taken on where almost every major component must be scratch fabricated.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »
What cars have you built?

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »
'67 Mustang fastback ground-up, '34 Brewster partial.  Primary lesson of both: never again polish a turd.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
Thing is, many people have completed really big projects, but ultimately there's a lot of help, guidance, parts, info, etc available, and you know you're not the first or only person to have problems or whatever.
Building just about all of it from scratch is a whole new ball-game when just about nothing is available. Some people are lucky enough to be skilled enough to recast (or machine from scratch)  engine cases, hubs, etc, and others are skilled enough to build a frame or forks from pics and plans, but if you've done neither before and you have to plan, liase and pay for others to do the work then time and costs start mounting. Not trying to pour cold water on your plans but realism always wins through in the end.
Best of luck though, I feel you're really going to need it.

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 06:51:55 PM »
I know.  It's quixotic at best.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 02:08:40 AM »
It's a marvellous idea and you're not alone.
Have a look at this site www.brufnut.de and you'll see Wilfried is a lap ahead of you going down the same track. Perhaps you can come to some arrangement as to who makes what and each of you makes multiples of each part so you can swap. Both of you will finish that little bit quicker then.
Whatever the case there will always be a demand for JAP engine parts, Sturmey Archer gearbox parts, Enfield hub parts and so on.

Lots of luck,

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 03:03:08 AM »
Thanks, 33d6.

Wilfried and I have exchanged emails.  He has done amazing work, especially given that much of the time he has not been working from plans.  He has pulled all his own dimensions, shaped his own patterns, and then done the final machining on almost every piece.  He is an amazing craftsman.

He has had quite a lot going on the last few years, though, and his projects are pretty much backburnered while he takes care of business.  Still, I look forward to his future work - he says that maybe early retirement is the answer (something we're all dreaming of).

Thanks for the good wishes.  I will keep y'all posted.

Offline chris mac

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 08:56:56 PM »
Tony Pirrie did a pair of Enfield cush hub brakes for me,not cheap, but quality never is

Offline MPOregon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:57 AM »
Thanks, Chris.  I will have to reach out to Tony.