Author Topic: What to look for when viewing a 1960 Norton Jubilee  (Read 9141 times)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: What to look for when viewing a 1960 Norton Jubilee
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
Like you, I find the value of my bike irrelevant.

It's not though, is it? At some point you (or your executor!) will sell it/them, and then the value becomes very real. Although "ten bob a ton" may be a witty reply, the reality is if they're going for six grand then six grand is what you'll expect.
That's not to say that gloating over the prices asked in the small ads isn't a particularly cheesy thing to do, but keeping a weather eye on trends is just sensible.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »
https://youtu.be/z4uivPpzCGo

what a surprise. wipac electrics, twin points I think? and doubtless some home made wiring loom. Seen it all before.

really the short answer to your question...."What to look for when viewing a 1960 Norton Jubilee"   is something else.

But hopefully its been a worthwhile experience for you.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
I know where you are coming from Rex, but as my remaining bikes will never come up for sale  it is irrelevant.

I have left written instructions and advice, plus an extensive history. It's someone else's problem when I'm gone.

But I agree I do gloat over prices asked for bikes which were always mediocre, as my star bike was a freebie. Even more so as when I go it, the local VMCC mob sneered at it,as 'it'll never be vintage boy' [its 1938] while still trying to con me out of it, [I was 19 when I got it]

It was the same with my 1936 Levis 350, which I wish I'd never sold .  not vintage boy, swap you this stodgy flat tank 350 side valve for it.

There are some bikes beyond price, that 1938 bike was how I found my missus, got me into writing part time, took me all over France several times and much more. How do you value good memories?
Cash then is irrelevant.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
Understood.
I don't have any long-term memories on any of my bikes, and I've always said that if anyone offered enough fivers they're each/all for sale. There's more bikes out there than I'll ever get to ride or own, and the "thrill" of a new one soon makes me forget the good rides with the old one!
Having said that there's still a mental league table of what would go first and what would be the last to go.