Author Topic: I Found a Binks 1920 Ltd carburetor in my dad's loft  (Read 8779 times)

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
I Found a Binks 1920 Ltd carburetor in my dad's loft
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
Hi,
My father passed away just over a month ago and while clearing the house I found this.I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it came from?
I thought maybe it's a early Norton carb as I found quite a lot of Norton parts.
From research I know Binks is one of the three companies that merged to make Amal but I cannot find much on this carb.I found five other carbs including a twin set of Amal's.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I Found a Binks 1920 Ltd carburetor in my dad's loft
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:56:05 PM »
Not Norton, but from the baffle on the inlet and the oblong opening in the alloy elbow I'd guess some 1920's 2 stroke.

Thats not to denigrate as its an excellent find and looks in ace condition.

Lets have some pics of the others?

plase don't ask for a value, bung it on ebay it'll find its value there.

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply when you said two stroke I did some research and one of the bikes the carb seems a match for is a Levis.
Yes it is in very nice condition considering it is almost a hundred years old.I would never ask for a value I don't want to part with it but considering my house is already like a museum my wife will probably not be very happy if I keep it. 

Here are some of the carbs that I have photo's of.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
Levis would be about right.

the other carbs are amal monoblocs;  1950s-60s you can probably find an application list on line.

One of them is a chopped monobloc, if you can match it to one of the others to make a pair, even knackered the purists will pay a good price on ebay.

Nothing like as interesting as the Levis one though.

what other treasure have you found in the loft?

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »
Levis would be about right.

what other treasure have you found in the loft?

Thanks for the reply.
There are mainly early Norton 99 dominator parts an original front brake plate "dad's Norton he has left to me has a twin leading shoe"so it is probably from his bike,rear brake assembly including drum,several heads,rocker covers,barrels, a 99 tank and seat,a bottom end of a norton with pistons and cranks another crank and conrod's.I also found a head of a single of some sort and a small cc barrel and some rear shocks.
There were two tiger cub engines one with it's carb still fitted apparently it is 1954.
I have an alloy tank and fiberglass seat what they fit I don't have a clue.

There is also a 1960 viper basket case, parts were all over the place it has done less than 4000 miles.The engine seems in really good condition and the bike appears complete (not sure all the nuts and bolts are there though) I don't know much about British bikes. I remember the Velocette running why dad took it apart I don't know.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
why dad took it apart I don't know.

sadly that is the question many of our children will also be asking.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
All too often new buyers of old bikes/cars/boats/etc skills, money and enthusiasm fall far short of that required to "see it through". I wonder how many such projects have been unceremoniously carted away by the scrap man when it becomes clear to "The Boss" (whoever that may be) that that pile of old bike bits is likely to stay that way until at least the next millennium?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
too true
or the

I'm going to do it up one day lot.

my best bike, the one I tell them all to bury me on, was it's owners pride and joy, even though he had not used it for some12 years before he died.

His widow paid a neighbour  £5 to take it away, and he only did that because he wanted the sidecar off it. Then he took it to the local tip.

The rest is another story, but it's been with me 50yrs this November.

Its always been a good reliable safe bike for me and I like to think the spirit of its previous owner rides with me.

Fortunately I have a clued up wife and daughter.

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
All too often new buyers of old bikes/cars/boats/etc skills, money and enthusiasm fall far short of that required to "see it through". I wonder how many such projects have been unceremoniously carted away by the scrap man when it becomes clear to "The Boss" (whoever that may be) that that pile of old bike bits is likely to stay that way until at least the next millennium?

My dad told me in the early seventies an elderly neighbour died and his wife told dad he could have the motorcycle that was stored in the spare bedroom.I remember the neighbour he was very eccentric and had a trained black bird that would fly into his kitchen and feed from his hand.

Dad had a look at the bike it was an Alldays and onions dad being dad and never in a hurry he was always rather laid back just told the lady he would give an answer later on.When he went back several days later the bike had gone the lady who was almost as eccentric as her husband had giving it to the scrapman thinking dad was not interested.

Interestingly don't Alldays and onions have Binks carbs?

I have now discovered almost enough parts to build two 99 engines plus a lot of parts left over.We found two tiger cub engines one of which is a 1954 engine complete with carb my dads friend has it at the moment.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »
Dad had a look at the bike it was an Alldays and onions dad being dad and never in a hurry he was always rather laid back just told the lady he would give an answer later on.

A lesson hard learned.
Myself, when offered something for nothing have always grabbed it instanta.

I have always been interested in vintage machines, almost from when I first learned to ride,as a teenager I would ride around on the top of a bus peering into front gardens looking for  anabandond bikes,then I'd get off or go back , knock on the door and ask if it was wanted [never for sale, mind, canny lad]. several answers availiable,
yes
no F off
it's 10 bob
what? that wreck, take it away son.

the junk I've pushed home was remarkable.

I never ever found a bike in a barn though, and I'd search every one I could get into.

I once carried home a  vintage 250 Sunbeam engine on the bus, two changes,then had to carry it 1/2 mile to my home, gawd my arms ached!

These days I've offered stuff I want rid off to the odd bod who claims to want it, who then says, can you keep it for me till I get back from uni or whatever snowflakes do these days.

sod it, it goes to the tip, take it or lose it.

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
More bits and pieces.I think the Carb,speedo and duel levers may all be from the same bike.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »
That Cowey speedo with its drive and all, may well fetch several 100 pounds on ebay.
It looks in superb nick

I have seen Bonnikson speedos around 1000.
the levers are also good, but will suit many bikes.

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 12:38:08 AM »
That Cowey speedo with its drive and all, may well fetch several 100 pounds on ebay.
It looks in superb nick

I have seen Bonnikson speedos around 1000.
the levers are also good, but will suit many bikes.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I have persuaded my wife that the parts we found should be kept and displayed with my many other items. I do not wish to sell them I am not interested in their value they remind me of my dad and are nice to look at.I am still in two minds whether I should sell dads Norton but I don't have anywhere to keep it.If I do sell it will probable cause quite a stir. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:56:08 AM by gus12345 »

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »
I apppreciate your sentiments,but ask yourself, what would your Dad say?

"here lad, stick these on the mantlepiece and stare at them until you die and someone who cares not bins them"

or

"flog them for as much as you can,spend the money on a treat for the kids or yourself, and make someone with an old bike happy as well"

I know what I have told my daughter to do.

One day only a few will know what this stuff is, and less will care.

I am old enough to have seen too many die off, and maudlin sentiment is of no use to anyone when it comes to old iron.

Still, its your choice.