Author Topic: I Found a Binks 1920 Ltd carburetor in my dad's loft  (Read 8868 times)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: I Found a Binks 1920 Ltd carburetor in my dad's loft
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »

FYI, the levers and the Cowey speedo are 1920s. Very nice.

Leon

Offline gus12345

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 12:35:17 PM »
I apppreciate your sentiments,but ask yourself, what would your Dad say?

"here lad, stick these on the mantlepiece and stare at them until you die and someone who cares not bins them"

or

"flog them for as much as you can,spend the money on a treat for the kids or yourself, and make someone with an old bike happy as well"

I know what I have told my daughter to do.

One day only a few will know what this stuff is, and less will care.

I am old enough to have seen too many die off, and maudlin sentiment is of no use to anyone when it comes to old iron.

Still, its your choice.

I understand what you are saying you are right each year there are less and less people who appreciate items like the speedo and carb.
At the moment I have far too many other spare parts to worry about and still have bikes to sell.I will think about selling although I am in not in a rush.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
No point being in a rush to sell 1st class rare stuff. It becomes easier to get rid of stuff after time passes.

It took me 5 years to get rid of my old dad's suits, as it felt disrespectful. Charity shop got them in the  end, with no regrets.

you have to be pragmatic about these things, especially into your 3 score and ten,when it stares you in the face.