Author Topic: b.s.a.gearbox  (Read 3615 times)

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
b.s.a.gearbox
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
hi guys, I have rebuilt my b.s.a.c15 and have just started her up (she sounds sweet) my problem is I can  select neural 1st and second gears o.k but cant select 3rd or 4th gears any ideas what I have done wrong. (the gearbox all looked good before I put it back together ) any help/advice  would be appreciated.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: b.s.a.gearbox
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
My guess would be the indexing is out. Read the manual to see where to position the selector when fitting the cover.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »
Are you trying to do it with the bike stationary? It might just be that the dogs aren't lining up. Try pushing it forward a bit when you try to get into gear, or put it on the centre stand and (with a dead engine) see if you can get the gears then.

If not I'd agree with Rex.

You will of course know that you can't get 4th before going into 3rd.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
thanks for the help ,i,ve left the chain off and running the engine,the clutch works ok.and I can go down from neutral to first and back up through neutral to second, but then the gear change doesn,t come up any further.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:25:45 PM »
Like Rex said, you have not properly indexed the gears when replacing the inner cover.

BTW, Rex, enjoyed the laugh over the head races, nowt like being proven right is there? ;D

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
That poster gets a lot of his attitudes (re British bikes and their designs) from the other ex-optician poster, and that subject is getting really old now.
Always better to blame some long-dead designer than admit you haven't got a feckin' clue how to use tools or do the simplest tasks..