Author Topic: Brake shoes  (Read 3335 times)

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brake shoes
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Hi im looking for a couple of sets of 5 inch brake shoes for a 1950s light weight bike. They are a grooved half moon peg fitting if that makes sense. They will be going on an early 1950s Sun motorcycle.
I am also looking for a set of plungers (as per photo) for the same machine.
Many thanks fingers crossed Bud.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:01:15 AM »
I would bet good money that your Sun wheel hubs were made by the British Hub Company. This firm seemed to provide the vast majority of pressed steel hubs (including the brakes) for all makes of British lightweights at the period of your Sun. If that's the case you should keep a look out for almost any 5" wheel hub, Fanny Bee, James, etc, etc, of the period and check the brake shoes out. In the early 50's British Hub were starting to move over to cast aluminium brake shoes rather than the previous pressed steel so you can find either type. Unfortunately they are not quite interchangeable without a little fiddle with the fixed fulcrum post.
British Hub fiddled about with the non essentials to suit various makes but the basics remain the same regardless. Luckily the brake shoes were one of the basics.
As far as you finding Sun plunger components I can't help.
Best of luck.

Offline darloman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake shoes
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply and all the good info. Brake shoes sorted yesterday, as for the plungers my quest goes on.
Many thanks Bud