Author Topic: Wanted. dual throttle/choke lever for 7/8" handlebars  (Read 4510 times)

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Wanted. dual throttle/choke lever for 7/8" handlebars
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »
Hi. Looking for a set of dual levers to control the throttle and choke, to fit a 7/8" tube, if anyone happens to have a set lying around.
Thanks.
Gary

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted. dual throttle/choke lever for 7/8" handlebars
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
sit down before you open the link.
I saw that one... :(. There are a few at £60.. Which is why I thought I'd try my luck on here.. I obviously don't want to spend that much, but I guess they have you if you need one..
Gary
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:00:34 PM by casperboat »

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
Even if you could find one at a Jumble you'd be lucky to get one for less.
Which is why I gave the advice in the original thread.

This is no longer a poor mans hobby, sad to say. Ride the bike, do it a bit ata time and keep looking.

I need a peculiar propstand for a bike I have had for 40+years, 3 years ago I found half of it. I expect in another 30 yrs I'll find the other half, but the bike has run very well without it.

Hang in, as all us old guys die off the market will be flooded with spares that our heirs will dump, the joke is that only us old guys know whats what. :D

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
The alternative, to get/keep the bike running, is to use separate levers. Cheap and cheerful.
"No longer a poor man's hobby " is right enough. I nearly had heart stoppage when I phoned around this morning for the current prices and wait for a simple Lucas mag rebuild, but believing that there really is nothing sadder than seeing some silly old sod kicking away at his P&J while the watching crowd grows ever-larger, it's money well-spent.

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:14:24 PM »
The alternative, to get/keep the bike running, is to use separate levers. Cheap and cheerful.
I have found a site that sells a nice single lever that has a longer arm than usual at £16. Could use that for throttle and leave the choke where it is.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
some silly old sod kicking away at his P&J while the watching crowd grows ever-larger, i

yeh, been there :(

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
Hi Casperboat,
On top of the good advice you're getting above you should remember vintage bikes used dual levers at a time when carburettors weren't that developed and both levers needed to be used together for sweet running. It was not just a case of somewhere handy to mount the choke. By the time of your bike those days were more or less past so a single throttle lever with separate choke is appropriate. You have an Amal carb fitted. It doesn't need dual levers.
I think Mini-me is spot on. Get out and ride it as is slowly tweaking the small things to get it sweet as you go along. There is plenty to do.
Cheers,