Author Topic: Trip to UK to purchase a bike  (Read 7148 times)

Offline danyra

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Trip to UK to purchase a bike
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
Hello
I live in Israel and planing a trip to UK to buy british bike.
Ready for everyday use, probably 60s or 70s make.
Probably to buy from dealer because of shipping needed and shortage in time.

My questions :
Is there a considerable price drop during autumn? What dates?
Where are the places that have many dealers in one area?

Thank you

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trip to UK to purchase a bike
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »
I rather think you are 20 years too late.

Very few "dealers" in this sort of bike around and certainly not to be found near each other.

No such thing as a price drop in classic bikes,at any time of year,
If i were you I would do some research and have some likely prospects lined up to view before you get here.

This is a good site to judge whats on offer  http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

I suppose http://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikes.htm is another.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:08 AM »
A**y T*****n is OK if you don't mind paying a couple of thousand over the odds for a bike whose description only loosely fits what is eventually delivered.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
As is Dutch Lion.
Still the world is smaller now the Net is here, and you can save a lot of leg work using your PC.
BTW I don't think the 1960s bike which is "ready for everyday use" (from a dealer) exists either.
They're either toys, mechanical jigsaws or ornaments, depending on your personal interest.
Whatever the dealer offers you, you're going to have to allocate time to go through it before doing much riding.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »
more or less what I was aware of Ian, but I really could not for the life of me think of another, now Bill Little has retired.

Most "dealers" these days hid behind ebay ads.

I think our friend in Israel need to do a lot more research and decide what he wants before coming here. I also hope he is aware of the absurd prices some bikes are offered for. And be prepared to find what a pile of poo he might end up with.

Offline danyra

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:30:53 AM »
Thank you people

For the cold shower :)
You are right , last time I owned a motorcycle was about 20 years ago.
It wasnt a British classic.

Now should I aim to London area ?
There is no preferred time in the year ?
Any specific model that is known to be reliable and has plenty parts ,
Of Triumph / Norton / BSA 500 to 750 cc ?

Thank you , Dany

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »
There is no closed season for selling bikes here, except dec/jan might be a bit slow but prices do not drop.

Some bikes have good spares back up but quality varies immensley from good to rubbish.

One of the best spares services is for Matchless AJS machines via the owners club. I know they haveat least one member in Israel.

I think Norton Commando  spares are fairly good as well.
I can't comment on Triumph; You will find spare parts shockingly expensive, and with frieght charges on top, ouch.

I think you should search ebay or the other link I gave and then talk to the sellers, I'm sure if you could give a date for collection they would help.

BUT, and a very big BUT, I should warn you that so many here have been  badly scammed by overseas buyers they will be very very wary, maybe even refuse to sell.

Stay way from London it is an expensive dangerous sh!t hole, and most small businesses moved away long ago; probably the only bike sellers are for Japanese/chinese stuff.

I fear you are having a vision of a UK that has long gone.

For myself I am wary of Israeli guys and bikes because they fill you up with beer ;D ;D Long story, but a funny memory :)

Offline danyra

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »
Thank you mini-me
I slowly doing my homework with your directions.

There is an AJS 18 1963 for sell in Israel , said after complete  fix session , looks good and price not bad .
On the articles , they keep saying that its heavy , well it is heavy for single.
But its about same weight as a twin , so the question is , is it lack of power ?
On the other hand it seems that it is easy to maintain.
So is it good for everyday usage ?
Is it fun to ride ?  ( I am not a supersport rider  :) ) what is the crushing speed ?

Thank you , Dany

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
That would be a wise choice Danyra, provided it is as the seller says.

Easy to maintain, if you were to join the AMOC club spares service is very good, but expensive on overseas postage.
Worst thing is pistons are very hard to find for these short stroke models.

It's a good model of bike, alternator electrics so you can fit modern uprated lights and so on;
Yes its heavy, but good for 80mph, reliable, handles well, and I find singles much more fun than a twin, but thats a matter of taste.Most AMC twins are not much faster,they just accelerate faster.

It would run along happily at 50/55 all day, as long as you keep it well lubricated in hot season.

Have you considered Indian made Enfield?

Somehow we don't view Israel as a land of Motorways, do you need speed that much?  But frankly speaking and I often see your question popping up on bike forums, For what you set out as requirement you may well be better off with a Jap bike?

One thing you have not laid out is what your budget is?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:00:06 PM by mini-me »

Offline danyra

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
Indian made Enfield would be my last choice ( but possible ) , its even makes a 'bitter' taste of original Enfield.
I am not in a hurry , but suprisely for you , nearly all the roads in Israel are motorways , and Israeli gentleman and gentlewoman in suvs has no respect for British classic holding the line .

Fun for me is finding a friend happy to join when I open the throttle a bit on exit from curve , things like that , nothing demanding.

I hope to invest about 6000£ , don't know yet how much is shipping from UK.

The BSA 650 is a very interesting choice for me , thank you , so how about maintenance and parts ?

Thank you , Dany

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »
and Israeli gentleman and gentlewoman in suvs has no respect for British classic holding the line .

Just like here then but warmer.

I can't give much advice re parts an maintainance on the BSA except its easy to work on.

If I were you I'd talk to that link I gave you, the dealer in Taunton, Devon. It seems he imports bikes from the USA so would be well placed to advise on shipping and so on. 5/6K ought to but you a decent bike of the kind you want.

Whatever you buy, join the owners club for it,they will be best placed to advise of reliable spares sources.

I think by coming here in person you will be wasting your time and money,  unless you are prepared fro a long search and a lot of travel and wasted visits too look at crap bikes, the vision of UK motorcycling you have is sadly long gone.
I got out of the motorcycle trade nearly 40 years ago as I could see the writing on the wall back then.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
If I were you I'd talk to that link I gave you, the dealer in Taunton, Devon. It seems he imports bikes from the USA so would be well placed to advise on shipping and so on. 5/6K ought to but you a decent bike of the kind you want.

Or, cut out the middle-man and buy a bike from the USA. It's still a risk but Brit bikes are around 25% cheaper there, and I doubt the shipping charges would be much different.

I suggest you look for a reasonably low mileage T140 or TR7 as there's certainly no shortage of spares. 
L.A.B.