Author Topic: 30 Years of Jawa Motorcycles  (Read 3983 times)

Offline jakebarrell

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • ColumnM
30 Years of Jawa Motorcycles
« on: July 18, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
I stumbled over this article & thought I'd share it here for those who are Jawa Motorcycle fans.

Jawa motorcycles were based on a simple philosophy – creating a motorcycle that was cost-effective, simple and reliable. This was quite the contrast from western European motorcycles like BMWs or Triumphs, that were more sophisticated in their design, thus requiring considerably more attention in service and repair. Jawa motorcycles were tank-like tough, where they ousted their rival in long-run durability over outright power. While the company started in Prague in 1929, then part of Czechoslovakia, it was the post-war era that brought the Jawa brand to the world. During its peak, Jawa Motorcycles were exported to 120 countries, of which its most predominant region after Europe was from India.

I guess it was after World War II, Europe was in disarray I guess and the economy was crippled and there needed to be a logical, practical and utilitarian form of transport that could be relied upon for everything from commute to transporting goods. As a need for the hour, both sides, the democratic and the communist came up with their own solutions for simple, cost-effective machines that would serve the needs of day to day life.

Link- http://bit.ly/2u2Vub2

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 30 Years of Jawa Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »
Joined Altogether With Araldite ;D

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
I seem to recall that the four-stroke 500 was allegedly quite a bike, but the two-strokes are just typically Commie-era crap, and the later the worse. Depreciation resembled the immortal stone-off-a-cliff plus they were totally sh*t to ride.
What would be the point?  :-\

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »

The Jawas I've encountered seem to be very well built and reliable, and the people I know who ride them enjoy them.

I love the early 1930s TT bikes (designed by Patchett I recall), and post-war I think it would be hard to categorise the banana-frame motocrossers, the ISDT bikes, or the speedway bikes as "Commie-era crap". All in all, a very successful and interesting marque.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
Elsewhere in this section I've said much the same but about the Cz part of it.
The bikes that were on sale to Joe Public though?  Nope, too expensive even at giveaway prices.