Author Topic: Newbie from Southend area  (Read 3269 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newbie from Southend area
« on: August 01, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »
New to Forum. Just acquired a basket case 1972 oil in frame Thunderbolt, full restoration required. Will need lots of help from Forum members. It arrived today in boxes and bags. Had to get the window cleaner to help me get the engine out of the van ( heavy ). Booked the frame in for powder coat and will start pricing up wheel rebuilds, tyres etc or good second hand. I have restored a 1954 A10 which went to a good home.
Had a quick look at engine, the pistons are original with 43,000 miles, the rings a slapping about on the piston. Will need someone local to rebore and supply pistons please. I attend the bike meet most Saturdays at the Shepherd and Dog, Brays Lane near Rochford, Essex. If anyone has any parts that are in good condition please let me know. I understand that most of the bits from the oil in frame Triumph fit. Have cash can travel a bit. Thanks for reading my first thread.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie from Southend area
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
Powder coating usually involves some form of blasting as prep. You sure you really want to that with OIF?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
I second Rex.
asking for trouble, theres only 4 pints of oil in those frames, probably less when you have added a lot of grit.

Personally I would never consider powder coating; I did once and have regretted it ever since, and cannot understand the passion for something intended for shoping trolleys and garden furniture.
Still, its your bike.

Offline A10 JWO

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
The guy has done many RGS and Gold Stars. He is going to mask up all the oil ways, he is fully aware of OIF. I will be washing the tank out in any case, thanks for replies.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Powder coating a Gold star is a sure way to decrease its value.

If it were my bike I would blank things off myself, even down to making a metal sump plate, sacrificing a filler cap which I would seal very tightly and using a metal closure of some kind on any exit/entrance to an oil way.

I sold these things new  and the paint on them was never very good to start with, sort of aerosol quality. Beginning of the end for the once mighty BSA group.
While the Triumphs used to sell quite well, the BSAs hung about to the bitter end,some of them were 3 years old when we finally sold them.

I would also wash out  the oil container, its not a tank really, before it goes to the blaster,that way you have less muck for the grit to stick to.

Offline A10 JWO

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »
I masked it up before dropping it off, but he wants to mask it his way to protect the oil ways.. He is also going the remove the swinging arm bushes, de-grease it and mask up the inside of the arm. He is a quietly confident metal polisher by trade, he made a superb job of my Crusader Sport. He is based near Rayleigh Essex behind the Blinking Owl Cafe on the A127 ( an old bikers cafe ).
Regards  :)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
you are very lucky to find a blaster/painter to do that work; I have known people take in frames with S/A attached and then moaned it was painted in one lump, ditto wheels with bearings in, and so on.

Used to be a regular at Sarrfend once, up and down the A13 never go near it these days.