Author Topic: Triumph rocker cover.  (Read 7205 times)

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Triumph rocker cover.
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
The front rocker cover front stud had stripped the thread in the cover. Not my fault guv.
I tapped the cover out to M7. using three graduated taps & fitted an M7 stud. I drilled out the hole in the head to 7.1mm & the whole lot fits a treat.
This may be useful to others.
Dave.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Triumph rocker cover.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
Not to the poor soul who expects to find a BSW (depending on year) thread there.

Why not do it properly with a helicoil, or at worst a stepped stud?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »
M7 is certainly an unusual size. I recently had to order three cap-heads for a Guzzi inlet manifold and they weren't cheap or plentiful.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »
Not enough meat in the cover for a helicoil, or possibly the next whit. size up for a stepped stud IMO. If I came across the mod in the future & couldn't work out quickly that I was dealing with a non standard thread, I'd want my arse kicking.
Why are people always so critical of a simple solution that works perfectly.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
Because I've lost count of the number of metric bolts / screws that have been forced into Imperial and US threads by someone who couldn't be bothered to do the job properly. I don't see why I should have to get the thread gauges out for one odd one out of a set of screws. TBH I'd rather deal with a stripped thread myself.

The Arrow I've just been rebuilding is a case in point - instead of using the correct UNF Phillips setscrews as originally used by Ariel, and which are widely available for not much money, the previous owner used cheap metric roofing bolts with of all things square nuts. They looked OK from a distance but up close were clearly very wrong.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
Nothin' wrong with a few gutter bolts Ian. When I was at work, I used to nick 'em by the handful. ;D

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »
.....instead of using the correct UNF Phillips setscrews as originally used by Ariel, and which are widely available for not much money, the previous owner used cheap metric roofing bolts with of all things square nuts. They looked OK from a distance but up close were clearly very wrong.

Ah the joys of a just restored motorcycle.
Just one reason why untouched rusty but 100% original bikes make such good money these days.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
I think it's more that people think they're "authentic". Actually, the chances of a 50+ year old bike not having been rebuilt several times are pretty slim. Remember the fake Norton in Real Classic a little while ago? Its previous owner had painted it blue, so its current custodian gave it a "distressed" version of what would have been its original livery. Daft if you ask me, but then I don't make lots of money out of these things. I just enjoy taking something that doesn't work and breathing fresh life into it.

I'm actually going to look at a bike later in the week that does look as though a previous owner has progressively tailored it to themselves over the years. It does however look something of a mess. If I go for it, it'll be something of a quandary what exactly to do.

He's probably used metric bolts all over the place!
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
There used to be a loud-mouth forever on IKBA (think rhyming with "bus") going on about an old Norton that he'd converted "every" fastener to metric, and when others started to say things like "even the carb parts?" and "what about the gearbox internals?" he had to admit that in reality he'd just bodged  a few fasteners, and then he had to get aggressively nasty to cover his climb-down.
Thinking back, what he utter tw*t that bloke was... :-\

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
Oh dear, I remember him well ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

always nasty, often half-pissed, part of the non existant clique. I crossed swords keyboard with him often, which is why I am no longer there.

On the other hand, I knew a very respected man, now sadly dead, a toolmaker in life, who converted every thread on his Honda 400 four to Imperial threads; as he said it will really confuse the next owner. Knowing how particular he was it would have been imperceptable and       well engineered.

Why, he did tell me but I forget.

I expect to see it on listed on ebay one day  at a vast price as some kind of Honda experimental for the British market.

I love reading ebay listings to see all the pig ignorant bollox out there which makes me so glad I am out the trade.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:41:55 PM by mini-me »

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »
Funny site, if one of the regulars had a go the rest would jump in like a wolf pack. There's enough material on there for a psychiatric seminar.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
yep, it's a pack reflex I was on the end of it often, and in the end I was doing it just for the reactions,used to make little bets with myself, who would bite first, and in what order.
Very predictable.

I recall it when it was the hairy beardy bloke arzlick club; gross.

I think I went through about 8 nicknames. Only Honda Cub Bob rumbled me. ;D ;)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Someone calling themselves "Victor" has a gentle dig now and again, and it always amuses to see the same old faces lining up to eagerly get a bite of the bait.
Another one who used to post about ten times a day putting down British bikes and praising Italian and Jap bikes is now on the VMCC forum praising..errr.. British bikes! Maybe he needs new "glasses" or something to see the hypocrisy.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
My old man used to grind away timing marks on cam gears on bikes and cars.And chortle about it for weeks to anyone who would listen.In real life,I worked as a mechanic on earthmoving gear,any alteration from stock standard on Caterpillar stuff would send the owner stark raving mad.(when found out).Other brands were a lot more tolerant,especially if you saved them money.Old bikes are the art of the possible,unless you happen to be a billionaire,and can afford to replace any part with standard,when you find bodging.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
Maybe he needs new "glasses" or something to see the hypocrisy.

naughty Rex, but I had noticed that about face some while ago,perhaps he's found more money to be made in Brit bikes?

The internet is a weird place and that one is one of the weirdest.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:09:08 PM by mini-me »