Author Topic: Almost motorcycle, definitely vintage!  (Read 3276 times)

Offline RhysN

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Almost motorcycle, definitely vintage!
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
I have a Wall Autowheel complete except for valve lifter and the "compression adjuster" which goes over the top of the piston. Just had a valve grind, rings are good, everything seems to work as it should but haven't tried to run it. I was going to have the magneto done as a matter of course. Unusually this one has an oil pump which I haven't spotted on others.
This is the power unit only, no frame nor drive wheel. Does have carb with cables and levers (all correct for the period).

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Almost motorcycle, definitely vintage!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »

Hi Rhys,

Yep, that one sounds definitely vintage! The Wall (are you sure it is a Wall? - there were other similar beasts) spanned WW1, so some actually fall into the veteran era.

When you say that you are missing the frame, I assume that you mean the cradle that holds the engine and wheel, rather than the bicycle frame to fit it to. These are hard to find.

We have the National Veteran Motorcycle Rally out here in South Australia later in September. We have a run for feeble veterans, and one enthusiast has threatened to bring his pair of his-and-hers Wall Auto Wheels!

Photos please.

Cheers

Leon

Offline RhysN

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
Thanks, yes it's the frame which would mount it to a bicycle that is missing.Astute folks will note that the spark plug is not in the correct position, it should be over the exhaust valve according to info that I have.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:13:27 AM by RhysN »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:13 AM »

Someone could have some fun with that! They can be dated, and the pre-1915 will have some reasonable value as, attached to a suitable bicycle, they are eligible for the Pioneer Run to Brighton. Post 1914 models are less sought after.

Cheers

Leon