Author Topic: Service for Triumph T140D  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Phaedimus

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Service for Triumph T140D
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
I have recently come into possession of my Dad's 1979 T140D Special which he has had from new.   It was restored about 5 years ago but essentially has sat in his shed ever since on a trickle charger.   Ultimately I think I am going to sell it as my bike riding these days is limited to long daily commutes which I doubt would do the  the old bike much good , or me.  So initially I just want to get it serviced and running (it's currently on a trailer in my garage)and who knows once I have ridden it I may not be able to let it go.
So the question is:  I live between Leatherhead and Guildford - does anyone know of a good place to take the bike to get it a good service and running, I don't imagine modern Triumph garages will be much good for this or I may be wrong.

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Service for Triumph T140D
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
"Modern Triumph garages" wouldn't have a clue! Are "Rockerbox" in the Farnham area still going? They used to be OK. If I was you I'd spring for a new battery, a manual, some oil and do it myself.
If it took a whole morning you'd be taking it easy as there's really nothing to them.

Offline Phaedimus

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Yes, rockerbox are still there, I might give them a call.  I guess I could give it a go myself, I have a haynes manual and I have no problem in getting out the spanners for my honda, I suppose I'm just a bit nervous of messing it up.

Thanks for the input

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
Yes, rockerbox are still there, I might give them a call.  I guess I could give it a go myself, I have a haynes manual and I have no problem in getting out the spanners for my honda, I suppose I'm just a bit nervous of messing it up.

As it's been standing since being restored then, as Rex said, it shouldn't need much more than an oil change and a new battery.

The Haynes 650/750 unit twin manual doesn't cover the OIF models in any detail, so a good deal of the information and some technical data it contains isn't relevant to the T140D. 
L.A.B.

Offline Phaedimus

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
Right, Ok I'll give it careful read then and see what's what on my day off next week.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »
I'd take it to Rockerbox for a service & once over. My son had an engine rebuild from them on his T100R. They're fairly priced as well.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
When I was in the trade several millenia ago, the one thing that would send me into a  pit of black despair...
"my bike don't go, it needs a service"

Generally it was truthfully "my bike is shagged out, can you get it going for a quid or less"

second to that was, "my mate says.........."

There are reasons bike shops packed it in. :'(

Offline Phaedimus

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
I'd take it to Rockerbox for a service & once over. My son had an engine rebuild from them on his T100R. They're fairly priced as well.

I'm going to give them a call on Monday I think and then weigh it up against doing it myself.  Thanks, it's good to know they're OK as far as you know.

Offline Phaedimus

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »
When I was in the trade several millenia ago, the one thing that would send me into a  pit of black despair...
"my bike don't go, it needs a service"

Generally it was truthfully "my bike is shagged out, can you get it going for a quid or less"

second to that was, "my mate says.........."

There are reasons bike shops packed it in. :'(

I know what you mean although I've no reason to think it's shagged.  Hopefully the worst it needs is a bit of a carb clean.  I think it was last ridden 3 years ago and was good then - it's only got 8.5k on the clock and only about 400 since the rebuild. 

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »
 I was not suggesting yours is shagged out, your post just did me grave digging on some bad memories.

like the guy who said 'my bike is making a  funny noise' 

'yes pal your mains are f**ked and the alternator rotor is bouncing off the stator....'

'But my mate says it just needs a service.......'

A case of get out my f**king shop and let your mate fix it then.

Sorry, even after 35 years the wounds are barely healed.