Author Topic: Fork renovation  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Mike Cambray

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fork renovation
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:36 PM »
The front forks on my 1953 James Cadet need new bushes and a general renovation. Can anyone recommend who I might contact to have this work done?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Fork renovation
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:48:15 AM »
These are very basic forks with no hydraulic damping. Not only do the bushes wear but the sliders wear also. New bushes alone will probably not take out all the wear. Replacement of either is simple enough if you can find a firm close to where you live but don't be surprised if it isn't just a rebushing job to get it right.

Cheers,

Offline Mike Cambray

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »
Thanks, I have contacted PittedForks.co.uk in Luton (I'm in the north of England!) who will tackle the sliders, and will reassemble if I provide the bushes.  So now I need to track down suitable bushes.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:17:25 AM »
Hi Mike,
It isn't necessary to go sending your forks off halfway round the country. Any local light engineering workshop can do the necessary. You've fallen into a common trap which is thinking that you need someone who knows motorcycles to do the work. Not true. All you have is a tube sliding in some bushes. Dead simple standard engineering.
Most engineering works avoid motorcycle jobs for two very good reasons.
Firstly, all motorcyclists cry poor. I've never met a rider yet who didn't cry and wail at the very thought of opening his wallet. Or didn't think a fellow motorcyclist would be glad to work on his bike for free. This attitude becomes very wearing after a while and workshops have neither the time nor interest to listen so tend to brush you off before you can open your mouth.  It is a business, it has to make a profit to survive.
Secondly, finding, purchasing and having delivered  the raw materials to do the job takes time and costs before the job is ever started. All of which is added on to the final bill which makes for even louder moaning.
You get around all this by approaching your local model engineering club. Near to you will be some club that runs miniature steam trains in a local park.Ask them for advice. They will know who sells the necessary steel tube and bushing and which local firms are approachable. Any model engineering club has members who have been in the engineering /machine shop game all their life. They can provide very practical advice on what you need for your forks plus how to go about it.They are your best friends for this type of work. Much more so than the usual motorcycle dealership. You will also gain a lot of useful knowledge for other parts of your restoration.
Let us know how you get on,
Cheers,

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

You get around all this by approaching your local model engineering club.

Yes. It's worth a visit to one of the model engineering exhibitions to see the superb work that these people can do. It makes most bike restorations look very amateurish.

http://www.doncaster-racecourse.co.uk/whats-on/event/the-23rd-national-model-engineering-modelling-exhibition/
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
And they were well slack when new.

Tip; never ask a tool maker to make you a 1/4" shaft to go into a 1/4" inch bush or hole, 'cos thats what you will get.

work it out.

Offline Mike Cambray

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
Thank you for these good tips, a great help in pointing me in the right direction.  Doing it locally and myself as much as possible is far preferable to sending things all over the place.