Author Topic: Terrot MT1 - First project - James Ware - Request for info  (Read 5031 times)

Offline BEWareofSware

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Terrot MT1 - First project - James Ware - Request for info
« on: October 25, 2017, 01:52:32 PM »
Yo!

A little bit about me... I am a new member to this forum and although I've been riding for 10 years I've only owned modern bikes. I recently had my first big crash and as a way to help get myself 'back in the saddle' I've bought a random fixer-upper....

The bike advert...
Terrot MT1 100cc 1950
Engine not seized, missing exhaust and cables.
Unfinished project.
Please see photos for details and condition. No log book.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrot-MT1-100cc-1950/282666487496?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The bike has now arrived and is missing more parts than i realised including cables AND levers and the fuel tank is also quite rusty inside....

I was hoping for some friendly advice and I have lots of questions, but ill start here..... Where do I start? Where is a good place for spares? Is it sacrilege to modify this bike away from the original spec!?

All the best

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Terrot MT1 - First project - James Ware - Request for info
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Welcome.
I have literally this week finished my restoration of my Terrot MT1, 1950!
I came on here 'late' in the 10 month restoration as I needed advice on getting the engine to start. It has been a great help.

You are missing some parts, but try 'Terrot pieces' in ebay.fr and most of what you need is there and not too expensive.
A French company, Chambrier, are very good, but parts overall are very hard to find. (anywhere). They can make the exhaust tube and silencer to correct spec. The tube is a very strange diameter and not available in the UK.

I used BSA Bantam parts (handle bar levers), Universal cables off ebay, and Villiers Services for brake re-lining, chain, magneto magnetising etc.

CWS in Coleshill have the spokes, my rims were perfect. They have the correct sized tubes and tyres.
Getting it UK registered might be a bit frustrating, the VMCC club validated mine as experts on Terrots.

I found the bike to be well made, the carb awful and getting the engine to run miserable!

Good luck. :). I paid 2 x more for mine, and the total cost of the bike and parts/services has been £2400. Lost count of the hours...

I think there are 4 other MT1's in the UK, could be wrong.

This might help, the total restoration of my bike:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58463

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:56:32 PM by Terrotmt1 »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
That bike looks like it's been given the "dust over with a can of aerosol black and a light dusting of sawdust" treatment.
Room for a Bantam or Villiers engine though..... ;D

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »
In hindsight, a Villiers (9E?) would have been a great mod!

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »
There must be more old french bikes coming into the Uk  in the backs of vans these days than there are migrants coming in.

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
Are you still here James?

You are missing some awkward parts, but also have some parts that are usually removed, esp the rear light which is a unique feature of the bike's design.

My '1950' MT1 is a bike with a 49 frame and a 50's engine and suspension, a Xmas special I think or the factory ran out of parts!
Rusty insides of tanks are cleanable, the side gear shift lever is gone and you need the chain and side sheet metal parts.
The easy to find parts are the aluminium tank details, seen several sets (and a tank) on Ebay.Fr for 40 Euro.

The rear brake lever position is a mod made by someone, but a good one imho. The original design is to apply the rear brake using your heel....

I think the tyres are oversized hence the very tight fit under the mud guards.

Hope all this helps!
Graham.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »
Hi

Congratulations on your purchase!  I am not sure where you are located, but Lebonciin.com
has 100s of parts for sale, but if you are not from France many times there is no
Reply to emails.  Also, the Terrot Forum (or something like that) might be an option
But eBay.fr is a good source as someone suggested!

I posted a thread a while ago called 1953 Terrot ETM 125
Under my name which might have additional resources for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.