Author Topic: Excelsior roadmaster battery box  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Rattlehead

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Excelsior roadmaster battery box
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
Hi all, I'm looking for a Excelsior roadmaster battery box, any condition.

Cheers.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Excelsior roadmaster battery box
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »
The first Roadmaster of 1949 didn't have a battery box. This was introduced in 1950 with the Model R2 Roadmaster de luxe having a different frame with plunger rear suspension and battery/rectifier lighting. As far as I can see the rigid frame Roadmaster was always the poor relation with direct lighting and no battery box and no provision for a stop light. All that aside it's sensible nowadays to fit a goodly size stop light for obvious reasons and you need something to power it. British bikes of the period only used one size of battery so more or less any battery box that can be fitted after fiddling around with the mounting brackets will do. Its also possible to find a universal battery box that clamps on to a handy frame tube. I don't know whether any one makes replicas of these in your part of the world but old ones aren't too hard to find.

The joy of all this is that your bike never had a battery box in the first place so whatever you fit is acceptable. There is no "wrong" type.
Cheers,

Offline Rattlehead

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
Thanks 33d6, I can see me asking your advice on a regular basis.    :)

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
Indian home market Bullets use a fairly simple battery carrier that looks suitably period and for the money, a good start. Like this, Ebay item 142958351160
REgards, Mark