Author Topic: Ariel Leader  (Read 4053 times)

Offline stevet3759

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Ariel Leader
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Front brake  worse than poor     fitted new shoes  spun whole backplate assembly with shoes on lathe to true up   fitted thicker cable  still useless    if I extend the lever arm on Drum I will  increase the movement on hand lever. does anyone know of a twin leading assembly that can be fitted off a Japanese bike i read somewhere there is one  it seems illogical that the back brake which is identical will lock the back wheel  obviously moor pressure is applied as this is my main stopping power is not good on a wet road
Any suggestions appreciated   Steve.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ariel Leader
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
I have an Arrow and found that the front brake is not nearly as bad as I feared from various reports.

Some points to check:

1. Make sure that the steel top hat bush in the backplate for the spindle is not badly worn as this allows the plate to flop about. I made a new one for mine.

2. Check the routing of the front brake cable which should go across from the handlebar lever to the left hand hole in the dummy tank then cross in front of the steering head. When I bought my bike it went down the right hand side (which is where the clutch cable should be).

3. The handlebar lever should have 7/8" pivot to nipple distance. Many have the incorrect 1.1/16" levers (inclding Arrows at the NMM).

PTFE lined cables are always a good idea. I generally have brakes relined by Villiers Services http://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=146 but the existing linings on my Arrow were fine so didn't bother in this instance.

Have a look at the Yahoo group  https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/arielarrowandleadergroup/info as well as the Ariel Owners  http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/index.php?sid=7f6ae8f94ea43c61246eca8d0c03b805  as there are some knowledgeable people in both places and I know some have fitted TLS brakes. But don't expect it to be easy.......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
I've just reread period road tests for the Leader & Arrow (Bob Currie) and both report excellent braking. The Arrow test records 30 ft. from 30 mph. I know that tests of this era could be somewhat rosy, but the stopping distance is factual. What about softer linings; together with Ian's suggestions?
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline stevet3759

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
Taken onboard what you both say apart from using softer linings all is ok so will try that thanks