Author Topic: 1961 BSA C15 non starter  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Pedrobsa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1961 BSA C15 non starter
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
Hail great gods of the vintage bike world, I have a 1961 bsa c15 and she just will not kick into life, ive replaced the condenser, coil, stripped and cleaned and rebuilt the carb (although needle notch im unsure of what notch it should be on) ive cleaned the points and new plug in her, she's got spark and she's getting fuel but she just won't kick into life, occasionally ill get a puff of white smoke out the carb but then thats it... nothing, ive tried advancing and retarding the timing, nothing, its possible its 180deg out, but im really new to this and no idea how to check or fix that in laymen terms.
Im located in ashford Kent if anyone fancies a cuppa Tea and a gander, its my first brit bike build so please be gentle with me :)
thanks
Peter.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1961 BSA C15 non starter
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
Sounds like the timing is wrong ,possibly 180deg out.....is this the motor with the points in a little housing stuck up behind the cylinder?...If so skew gear drives are tricky to mesh correctly.

Offline Pedrobsa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »
It is indeed, I think its 180deg out myself, but im so new to this I have no idea how to fix this issue.
cheers
Peter.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
The workshop manual/Haynes will tell you how to time the engine and that will include replacing the distributor correctly. Better to do it by the book than just guess that it's 180 out.
If the points aren't opening just before TDC on the comp stroke then there's a problem.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:36:01 AM »
As a general rule with skew gear drives,mesh the gears approx.....then twist the housing BACKWARD until the timing is correct...TDC at point break will be about right....As its coil ignition.you can use a light or a multimeter if you have one,to indicate point break.......My old grandfather had a surefire method to test spark timing......no,we wont go there,  instead thumb over plug hole,crank motor,watch timing light,you cant go wrong,light goes out as thumb is blown off plughole....